Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a good video converter - from .mov to .avi

I've tried researching this topic and I've seen a lot of partially helpful info. I'll try to be specific. I'm using a MBP with OS X, and iMovie '09 (version 8.0.6). I'm trying to convert my edited .mov files to either .avi or .wmv files so i can embed them into a powerpoint presentation for PC. I am not trying to rip DVDs. These are interview I filmed myself. I need a decent (free or inexpensive) converter to do this. I have tried Handbrake and i only get .mp4 as an format option. I've also tried MPEG StreamClip but when it converts there is no audio. I don't mind paying a few bucks to have a good converter, but i want one that will do the job. Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:58 AM

For .wmv, you can use Flip4Mac. http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

A potentially free solution is to use regular iMovie h.264 files (.m4v) and be sure to install QuickTime for Windows on the Windows PC.

If you need to distribute the PPT to multiple PCs, I would go for Flip4Mac.

To the best of my knowledge, purchasing Flip4Mac gives you the components and codec you would need. Then you do the actual conversion in QuickTime Pro. MPEG Streacmlip might work, but I'm not certain. Worth trying since it is free.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2012 9:58 AM in response to futureman22

For .wmv, you can use Flip4Mac. http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

A potentially free solution is to use regular iMovie h.264 files (.m4v) and be sure to install QuickTime for Windows on the Windows PC.

If you need to distribute the PPT to multiple PCs, I would go for Flip4Mac.

To the best of my knowledge, purchasing Flip4Mac gives you the components and codec you would need. Then you do the actual conversion in QuickTime Pro. MPEG Streacmlip might work, but I'm not certain. Worth trying since it is free.

What is a good video converter - from .mov to .avi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.