Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics card stops responding on BOOTCAMP?

Hello

Since I had to jump through all kinds of hoops of the actual apple support page, I eventually turned to the community now, which as ironically a whole lot easier.

Anyways, My problem is basically with BootCamp.

I'm trying to run the CryEngine 3 SDK on a late 2011 macbook Pro, and the specs including the graphics card should be enough to handle it easily.

Yet everytime I try to launch it, it plays for a little while (2 minutes) then comes up with an error along the lines of "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

I've checked and I have the latest drivers for the graphics card on the mac installed including the Catalyst Control Centre porgram. It seems like it should work, but it refuses to.

I've read up on it a bit and it may be a problem with overheating, since when the mac beging running the CryEngine the fan starts going like crazy, basically at its maximum capacity, so It might be a problem with Over heating.

I've also heard that due to a few compatibility issues with Windows 7, the graphics dont switch properly which leads to this error and can be fixed by entering the windows BIOS and switching the graphics switching from dynamic to fixed, however i'm not sure if I really want to meddle with the BIOS.

I've checked both the CPU and the total RAM when running CryEngine however the RAM only gets to around 50% whilst the CPU barely tops 20%. Also the graphics card being a AMD Radeon HD 6770M is something that should be able to handle it.

I'm at a loss of what to do, so any help would be much aprreciated!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Using BOOTCAMP Windows 7 64Bit

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 1:05 AM

I just saw your posting via a google search for "display driver stopped responding and has recovered amd bootcamp", filtered for the the last year.

I too have had nothing but trouble with Bootcamp and my MBP 2011 early edition, 17" with an AMD H6750M GPU.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. This error message constantly happens whenever I run flash video via any browser, be it FireFox, Chrome, IE, or Safari. The screen freezes, then the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message pops up in the taskbar. If I try and watch a flash video at all after the message, the entire computer freezes up and boots into a small windowed BSOD (blue screen of death), followed by a reboot.

This occurs sporadically and the funny thing is if I put the MBP to sleep (close the lid) and re-open it later (usually give it a 5 minute break or so), it will allow me to play flash videos again in the browser (and the MBP won't reboot into a BSOD). What's also interesting is even after the error message, I can still play videos via Media Player Classic or VLC player. It's only when I go to play a flash video via any browser that the MBP will reboot into the BSOD.

So that tells me it's something to do with the graphics switching properties of the 2011+ MBPs and Bootcamp's ability to properly facilitate the switching of the Intel based graphics and that of the AMD GPU. I know I disabled the graphics switching properties on the OSX side, because I couldn't take the 5500 rpms of the fans every time I played a flash video via FireFox or Chrome. I don't care what anyone says, but Flash video and Macs do not play well at all. The **** fans on my MBP go insane whenever flash is started on the OSX side. If I switch over to Windows, boom, no more fan noise with flash video.

Just to let you know, I've had this particular problem since April of 2011, when I first got my MBP and I've yet to find an answer or even a prayer for a fix. I just accept it for what it is, something that I cannot fix.

For what it's worth, this is the error log that windows gives me everytime I reboot into Windows after the BSOD error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA8008BB23E0

BCP2: FFFFF880045A92CC

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\061412-21918-01.dmp

C:\Users\Marks\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-103132-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2012 1:05 AM in response to TPuppy

I just saw your posting via a google search for "display driver stopped responding and has recovered amd bootcamp", filtered for the the last year.

I too have had nothing but trouble with Bootcamp and my MBP 2011 early edition, 17" with an AMD H6750M GPU.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. This error message constantly happens whenever I run flash video via any browser, be it FireFox, Chrome, IE, or Safari. The screen freezes, then the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message pops up in the taskbar. If I try and watch a flash video at all after the message, the entire computer freezes up and boots into a small windowed BSOD (blue screen of death), followed by a reboot.

This occurs sporadically and the funny thing is if I put the MBP to sleep (close the lid) and re-open it later (usually give it a 5 minute break or so), it will allow me to play flash videos again in the browser (and the MBP won't reboot into a BSOD). What's also interesting is even after the error message, I can still play videos via Media Player Classic or VLC player. It's only when I go to play a flash video via any browser that the MBP will reboot into the BSOD.

So that tells me it's something to do with the graphics switching properties of the 2011+ MBPs and Bootcamp's ability to properly facilitate the switching of the Intel based graphics and that of the AMD GPU. I know I disabled the graphics switching properties on the OSX side, because I couldn't take the 5500 rpms of the fans every time I played a flash video via FireFox or Chrome. I don't care what anyone says, but Flash video and Macs do not play well at all. The **** fans on my MBP go insane whenever flash is started on the OSX side. If I switch over to Windows, boom, no more fan noise with flash video.

Just to let you know, I've had this particular problem since April of 2011, when I first got my MBP and I've yet to find an answer or even a prayer for a fix. I just accept it for what it is, something that I cannot fix.

For what it's worth, this is the error log that windows gives me everytime I reboot into Windows after the BSOD error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA8008BB23E0

BCP2: FFFFF880045A92CC

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\061412-21918-01.dmp

C:\Users\Marks\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-103132-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Jun 18, 2012 4:21 AM in response to MVLJR

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that more people are having the same problem, to be honest by the looks of things its quite a wide-range problem that apple should probably address.

Yesterday I ended up deleting my BootCamp partition completely then reinstalling windows 7 from scratch including every single driver/update is required. I also used the mac update utility for the windows so every driver (including the graphics card) is correct, updating everything again afterwards to make sure it was up to its maximum.

I then proceded to try the CryEngine 3 again, and it worked for around a minute then the screen went black and I was informed that the AMD display driver is not responding. After a reboot and executing the CryEngine 3 again, I didn't even get a minute, It simply froze on execution.

This error is starting to annoy me as the Specifications of my Late 2011 macbook pro is easily capable of running CryEngine 3 (At least double all of the requirements) so I simply dont understand why I'm running into this problem.

I've decided to visit the apple store closest to my house tomorrow in an arranged meeting. I'm obviously not expecting much to happen but I might be surprised since their stores seem pretty well organized. Anyway i'll make sure to update this page with information (if any) I receive so others at least have some sort of leg to stand on when approaching this problem.

Jun 21, 2012 8:14 AM in response to TPuppy

Well, I went to visit the apple store and despite the decent customer service, I was basically told that since my problem was using the windows operating system, they have nothing to do with, suggesting that its purely a microsoft fault, despite the problem being with a Mac customized graphics card and using the BootCamp Software.

So basically if it has nothing to do with OSX, they have no control over it, or simply dont want to attempt to fix it. unfortunately.

Looks like i'll have to continually keep searching for some sort of answer.

Sep 23, 2012 9:23 PM in response to TPuppy

This might be a solution.

AMD released new drivers for Windows 7 and 8 in June 2012. They're only beta versions at this time, but it solved my Windows/Bootcamp video driver problem. Give either the 64-bit or 32-bit version a try, depending upon your version of Windows 7.

64-bit version: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx (scroll to the bottom for the beta version).

32-bit version: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx (scroll to the bottom for the beta version).

My MacBook Pro's problem was that when I attached a second monitor, the computer recognized it but I couldn't get an image on it. Looked blank and went to sleep within a second. Even under Windows control panel/display where you can control multiple monitors, the icons showed up as if the second monitor was there along with it's resolution controls, but again nothing but a blank screen on the actual monitor.

My system: MacBook Pro 17" Intel i7, Mountain Lion OSX, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

I downloaded and installed several other AMD drivers and Catalyst, but nothing worked until I tried their June 28, 2012 beta drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8. The install hadn't even finished when my second monitor sprang to life.

I'm happy. But sure wish I had found the solution earlier!

Graphics card stops responding on BOOTCAMP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.