Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS Router & Server Setup Issues

I'm running a Mac OS X Server on my local network. I have a D-Link 655 router that connects the machines and conencts to the internet.

I'd like to use OS X Server's DNS instead of my ISP's. In the D-Link Router I've set the DNS to the OSX server in the WAN section. Unfortunately it doesn't allow my clients on the network to connect to the internet when I do this.

If I set the DNS on the client to the OS X server it works fine. Or if I set the DNS on the router to my ISP's (or Google's) it works fine too.

Is this a route configuration issue? Or is this an OS X Server issue?

Any thoughts on how I might figure out where the problem lies and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:18 AM

1 reply

Jun 15, 2012 12:13 PM in response to Chris Armstrong4

Your DHCP server needs to pass out the IP address of your DNS server (only).

In general, you should not include any references your ISP DNS servers anywhere on your network. Not in your DHCP server, not in your clients, and not as a forwarder within your own DNS server configuration.

When you make the change, renew the leases of the devices that have the old address if needed, and alter the hard-set DNS server settings in the devices that don't use DHCP.

The one sort-of exception to this: your DNS server should have its Network settings DNS server address set as 127.0.0.1; as the localhost address. Not as its IP address.

And in general, routers don't do DNS. (Though it's common for folks to refer to devices that provide routing, NAT firewall, potentially VPN servers and other services as a "router", technically routers don't typically include DNS services. And very few gateway devices - even the fancy ones and expensive ones - implement DNS services.) Routers (and particularly the usual sorts of network gateways) can generallty have a DNS configuration for two reasons; to forward DNS requests to an upstream DNS server(s), and to have a DNS server address for an embedded DHCP server to pass out to DHCP clients.

In your particular case, the IP network connectivity is very likely present in both of your test configurations, it's that your clients aren't getting DNS translations.

Probably more than you ever cared to learn about setting up DNS services on OS X Server.

DNS Router & Server Setup Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.