Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Space Exporting Error - iMove '09

Hello all. I am using iMovie '09 - and when I export my hour long movie I get an error after about 1 minute of exporting that says

"The operation could not be completed because there is not enough space on the destination disk."

However, my destination disk (i.e. my external hard drive) has over 700 gigs of space available. Does anyone know what's going on? If it helps, my system is a 10.5.8 desktop, and I imported the video directly from a Sony HD camera into iMovie.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:33 PM

Hi

Yes - As I guess - the amount of free space ON YOUR Start-Up Hard disk is far from 700Gb free space.

Most probably far from 25Gb free space - and even

Far from 5Gb free space

Less than 1Gb may be ?

As Mac today is UNIX - it behaves like it = Meaning that Applications and OS - needs lot's of lot's of space for their temp. files so my minimum of 25Gb for interlaced SD-Video is no over estimation and if HD then multiply with 4 to 5 times more to be on the safe side.

BUT - External Hard Disk - Yes it's important that there is enough space there too - But the temp. files can not be addressed here - so the free space to run OK - MUST BE on the Start-Up (Mac OS) Hard Disk - no secure way around this.

Yours Bengt W

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2012 12:33 PM in response to arinze

Hi

Yes - As I guess - the amount of free space ON YOUR Start-Up Hard disk is far from 700Gb free space.

Most probably far from 25Gb free space - and even

Far from 5Gb free space

Less than 1Gb may be ?

As Mac today is UNIX - it behaves like it = Meaning that Applications and OS - needs lot's of lot's of space for their temp. files so my minimum of 25Gb for interlaced SD-Video is no over estimation and if HD then multiply with 4 to 5 times more to be on the safe side.

BUT - External Hard Disk - Yes it's important that there is enough space there too - But the temp. files can not be addressed here - so the free space to run OK - MUST BE on the Start-Up (Mac OS) Hard Disk - no secure way around this.

Yours Bengt W

Jun 16, 2012 5:25 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Thanks for the help, Bengt!

I'm sure you are right but didn't get to test your suggestion. Turns out that movie project had issues as when I tried to export it (after deleting a bunch of files form my start up disk), I got an error stating that the source file was missing. Not sure how that happened but it did. Perhpas I deleted/moved something in my clean out process, though I don't know how. Luckily I still had the raw .MTS files saved and downloaded a handy convertor (Wonderdhare) to conver them to .MOV HD files and all was well.

Best!

Arinze

Disk Space Exporting Error - iMove '09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.