Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I backup manually and leave off the apps ?

I believe I need to perform a reset to the factory default and know I need to backup my iphone first. When restore the backup I would like to leave off the apps. Can you restore bit by bit and not automatically restore the apps ? Thanks for any tips.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:20 PM

13 replies

Jun 15, 2012 12:28 PM in response to CGBanks

Back up your phone by syncing with iTunes. App data is included in the backup but the apps themselves are not. When you later restore from this backup you can connect your phone to iTunes and deselect the apps that you don't want on your phone and sync and they will be removed from your phone. (Or, prior to cnnecting your phone, you can open iTunes and go to Preferences>Devices, check "Prevent...from syncing automatically", then connect your phone to iTunes, go to the Apps tab and uncheck the apps you don't want on your phone, then click Apply to sync and they will not be synced to your phone in the first place).

Jun 15, 2012 12:46 PM in response to CGBanks

randers4 ~ Thanks ! So I will be able to get back all my contacts, photos, etc., and just leave off the apps ? I've never had this worry before and am a bit nervous about wiping everything off my phone. I'm pretty sure I've got a third-party app that isn't showing up and don't want to transfer it after I restore. Should I restore as a "new phone?"

Jun 15, 2012 1:36 PM in response to CGBanks

CGBanks wrote:

So I will be able to get back all my contacts ...

Not necessarily, contacts are not part of your iOS backup. If you're not saving them to iCloud or some other online service, then you'd have to re-sync your contacts from your local source (Outlook?). If you don't have your contacts saved locally, then they'll be gone after the Restore and no way to recover them. Always backup your contacts, either to iCloud or other online service, locally on your computer, or any number of 3rd party contact managers that can export them as a file and re-import them after you Restore.

Jun 15, 2012 1:49 PM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

rockmyplimsoul wrote:

Not necessarily, contacts are not part of your iOS backup.

Absolutely false information.

Apple only claims to save your Favorites and recent call history, that's all. If a user's complete set of contacts is backed up, why then do so many people here find that they can't recover their contacts after a Restore and re-load of their backup? It is far better to err on the side of safety than to allude that users have a way of recovering their contacts, which at best seems hit or miss.

Jun 15, 2012 1:59 PM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

There is a huge difference between giving advice & stating false information.

And there's a huge difference between stating false information and interpreting a poorly-worded article from Apple. Nowhere does Apple explicitly say that your full set of contacts are backed up. While you and others may have seen that occur successfully, the fact remains that no one can really can say what Apple's official position is on this other than what they've stated in their support article.

Jun 15, 2012 2:36 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

From HT4946: iTunes will back up the following information - Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).

* Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists. Back up your contacts to a supported personal information manager (PIM), iCloud, or another cloud-based service to avoid any potential contact data loss.

Makes sense to me so I'm not exactly sure what you're confused about. This clearly states that contacts are part of the backup in order to preserve recent calls and favorites. Your comment of "Apple only claims to save your Favorites and recent call history, that's all" is wrong and you need to learn to read.

Jun 15, 2012 3:29 PM in response to Papciak84

Papciak84 wrote:

Makes sense to me so I'm not exactly sure what you're confused about. This clearly states that contacts are part of the backup in order to preserve recent calls and favorites.

Well, let's start by emphasizing the back half of the same sentence you quoted:

* Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists.

Why would Apple even need to include the end of that sentence, and not simply end it at "Your contacts are part of the backup."? What does that last part really mean to you? By adding that last statement, it could easily be interpreted to mean as "the only aspect of your contacts that are recovered are those you've designated as favorites, and those who you've recently called". If this is so clear to you, please explain what Apple meant by that last part.

Papciak84 wrote:

Your comment of "Apple only claims to save your Favorites and recent call history, that's all" is wrong and you need to learn to read.

Please, no need for the snarky reply. We're all here to learn, and help others.

Can I backup manually and leave off the apps ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.