3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 1:59 PM by OGELTHORPE
cdspam33 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm about to retire my 17" Dell laptop from 2007 and upgrade to the new 15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina.  Woo-hoo!

So here's the million dollar question...is it worth it to pay the 200 bucks to upgrade the memory from 8GB to 16GB?  I've read that Apple now solders the memory into the computer, so once I pick my memory, I'm stuck. 

It's been awhile since I've used a Mac on a day-to-day basis, so I'm fairly unfamiliar with how much memory newer systems eat up.  On an average day, I expect that I won't be doing much more than my e-mail on Outlook, surfing the web in Firefox, and doing some work in Word/Excel.  For that I figure 8 GB will be more than enough.  However, on rare occassions, I might need to fire up Photoshop to do touchups on photos or maybe even a little bit of light editing in Final Cut. 

So what do you think?  Will 8GB do the trick, or should I suck it up and pay the extra 2 bills to bump it up to 16?

MacBook Pro with Retina display
  • 1. Re: 8GB or 16GB Memory on Macbook Pro w/ Retina?
    Bimmer 7 Series Level 6 Level 6 (10,270 points)

Pay the extra $$$ to get the max RAM your mb supports.

If you're keeping it for long term, then having the extra RAM would be beneficial to you since it's not user upgradeable.

You're coming from a Dell Laptop.  Rule of thumb when using windows, the more RAM, the better your computer will run.

Since applications gets more robust when they release a newer version, they tend to be more RAM hungry.

I remember when photoshop was happy with 4GB of RAM.  Now they're happier with 8GB of RAM.

It's better ot have it for " Just in case purposes ".

My .02 cents.

• 2. Re: 8GB or 16GB Memory on Macbook Pro w/ Retina?
    ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)

Max the RAM to 16GB, makes the resale value all that much easier.

OS X and programs are going to start bloating up now that there is no 32 bit 3.5 GB RAM limit.

• 3. Re: 8GB or 16GB Memory on Macbook Pro w/ Retina?
    OGELTHORPE Level 7 Level 7 (25,670 points)

For avocational activities 8 GB RAM is more than adequate.  Even the CPU intensive tasks that you indicate you might on occasion perform, a few extra seconds here and there (if that) will be hardly noticeable.  Take into consideration that the new retina MBP has flash memory which will of set some of the differences that yone might experience with an 8GB vs 16 GB environment with a conventional HDD.

There seems to be an almost irrational obsession with speed at times when the fact is that far more often than not, the slowest component in the chain the the user.  If the price differential will not strain the bank account, by all means go for it.  It's almost like buying a Ferrari when one lives in Manhattan.

Ciao.