Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Version 3.3 White Balance Slider doesn't change with eye dropper

I've noticed that when I try to use the new white balance options (Natural Gray & Skin Tone) with the eyedropper that the slider does not change, even as I move the dropper around to cause drastic changes in the color cast of the pic. Anybody else see this?

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:55 PM

5 replies

Jun 15, 2012 1:31 PM in response to léonie

Maybe I expect it to change because I don't know how it works!

So by just selecting "Skin Tone" from the drop down Aperture performs a generic white balance alteration. Then, if I use the eyedropper it uses that selection to perform the white balance. Then I can adjust that result by using the slider.

Is that right?

I was assuming that by selecting "Skin Tone" that it wasn't applying a white balance yet and was only activiated by moving the slider, similar to other adjustment bricks.

Jun 15, 2012 1:49 PM in response to JasoninaJeep

Is that right?

Not quite: By selecting "natural gray" or "skin tones" you tell Aperture how to interpret the sample that you pick with the eye dropper. If you select "skin tones" and pick a sample from a face, Aperture will set the white balance in a way that the skin sample looks o.k.; if you set the white balance to "natural gray" , you need to sample a gray tone and Aperture will change the white balance accordingly.

Or simply press the "auto button" - then Aperture will try to find some "gray" or "skin" tone and do the above automatically. In all three cases you can fine tune the result by adjusting the "warmth" slider.

Regards

Léonie

Version 3.3 White Balance Slider doesn't change with eye dropper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.