Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not delete emails from my iPad

Why can't I delete emails from my iPad.

iPad

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2013 11:40 PM

Thanks King Penguin! That worked perfectly. Somehow the 4 emails that wouldn't delete were spam on my work gmail account. There was no problem deleting from my iMac and iPhone but they stayed around on my iPad. It took me forever to find them too!

10 replies

May 27, 2017 7:50 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for your prompt reply. You stated "Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars ; select the account on the right-hand side of that screen, select Account, then Advanced, Deleted Mailbox, and under On The Server tap the 'Trash' folder so that it gets a tick against it", but this path is nolonger there. The path you just mentioned is there, but not the ADVANCED path. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Jun 15, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Cupgolfer

What happens when you try ?

If you get a 'cannot be moved to trash' message then try going into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars ; select the account on the right-hand side of that screen, select Account, then Advanced, Deleted Mailbox, and under On The Server tap the 'Trash' folder so that it gets a tick against it ; come out of that series of popups by tapping on the relevant buttons at the top of them and then see if you can delete emails.

If you get a different message ... ?

Jul 28, 2012 1:44 AM in response to Cupgolfer

Go to 'settings'>''mail,contact,calendars' and in the settings box for 'mail' make sure the 'Ask before deleting' is set to ON. Next time you try to delete an email, whether using EDIT tab in inbox or trash icon in an opened email, it will come up with a big red box saying 'Delete Email' which you click/tap and hey presto the email will be removed!

Why can I not delete emails from my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.