Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't MacBook Pro go to sleep when the battery is empty?

Hi there! 🙂

I was calibrating my MacBook Pro's battery and when I was running the battery down, after the point where the "Low Battery" warning popped up, it ran for 9-10 minutes and the computer just shut down. Let me mention that my battery has no problem lasting for 7 hours. What could be the issue? Is this normal behaviour? 😕

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:34 PM

OK am I correct in thinking you mean that it should have gone to sleep more not turn off at end of battery?

I am an owner of a macbook for just a few hours so far, but on my old power book, the warning then a more emphatic warning, then it shut down as end of battery arrived.

I never heard of callibrating a battery...I will look into that. Thanks.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2012 9:34 PM in response to woofmatix

OK am I correct in thinking you mean that it should have gone to sleep more not turn off at end of battery?

I am an owner of a macbook for just a few hours so far, but on my old power book, the warning then a more emphatic warning, then it shut down as end of battery arrived.

I never heard of callibrating a battery...I will look into that. Thanks.

Jun 15, 2012 9:42 PM in response to woofmatix

There is nothing wrong with your MB. It's suppose to shutdown when the battery is empty.

Your MB goes in sleep mode when you don't use it for a period of time. It doesn't go to sleep when the battery is empty.

Why are you calibrating a new mb if you're getting 7 hours? That might do more damage than good to your battery.

Charge your battery once it reaches 50% to keep your battery in optimal shape.

Also, you can read your user guide about your battery's life and peformance and how to maintain it.

Jun 15, 2012 9:45 PM in response to woofmatix

You're just panicing - after there's no more battery reserve left, the Mac will shut down. And if you've a newer MacBook Pro with the unremovable battery, there's no reason to calibrate the battery. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490. As it states:

"Portables with built-in batteries

Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that shouldbe replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider."

Regards,

Clinton

Jun 15, 2012 9:53 PM in response to Bimmer 7 Series

I actually read somewhere that Apple recommends a calibration every few months. This is supposed to give a better battery reading (this is what I gathered from what I read). So that's why I calibrated by battery. 🙂 Anyway, was just wondering because http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490 says that "when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep." That's what got me thinking you know. 😕

Why doesn't MacBook Pro go to sleep when the battery is empty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.