Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd Generation Help?

I have done (or tried to do) everything listed on the support page to remedy my issue, but nothing's worked. My computer doesn't acknowledge that my 2nd Gen. iPod Shuffle is docked. And since this is the case, I can't even restore the thing back to factory. I'm lost and am ready to pull my hair out. I believe it may be an issue with my computer, as my Shuffle seems to work on the other computer we have. But, if that's really the case, I'm not sure how to go about fixing that, either. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LadyRose86

iPod shuffle, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:17 PM

It's not clear if this is something that worked before, and it is no longer working, OR if this iPod shuffle has never been used with this computer before.

If the shuffle works with a different computer, using the same USB cable, it is probably your computer. It says "Windows XP" in your profile. If this is not something you had working before with this computer, does your computer meet the system requirements listed here?

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP27

(where it says "Windows system requirements")

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2012 10:17 PM in response to LadyRose86

It's not clear if this is something that worked before, and it is no longer working, OR if this iPod shuffle has never been used with this computer before.

If the shuffle works with a different computer, using the same USB cable, it is probably your computer. It says "Windows XP" in your profile. If this is not something you had working before with this computer, does your computer meet the system requirements listed here?

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP27

(where it says "Windows system requirements")

Jun 16, 2012 8:14 PM in response to LadyRose86

After the reformat, you installed the latest version of iTunes (10.6.3)?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

It says system requirements for Windows is Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later. The tech specs for the 2nd gen iPod also has the same requirements for Windows. Does your Windows installation (after the reformat) have all the available updates installed?

Jun 19, 2012 1:33 PM in response to LadyRose86

If the latest version of iTunes runs on it, I think your Windows should be updated enough to use with an iPod shuffle 2nd gen. If it's Windows XP, you can check by going to Control Panels (from the Start button), then going to System. It should say you have Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3.

And installing iTunes should install the Apple-provided components needed to use with an iPod.

Also, I want to confirm what you said earlier, about your shuffle working with other computers, but not your computer.

Jun 24, 2012 2:58 PM in response to LadyRose86

You checked that after reinstalling Windows XP (after the reformat), it was updated to at least Service Pack 2?

Also, I would try shutting down and disconnecting ALL USB devices (including any USB hub), except for a standard mouse and keyboard. Then, start it back up. Run iTunes. Connect the shuffle to a direct USB port on computer. I'm thinking maybe there is a USB device conflict between the shuffle and something else that you have connected.

Since the shuffle works with other computers, it is obviously some problem on your computer...

2nd Generation Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.