Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I benefit from some upgrades to an 09 white macbook?

So i'm tired of this dang thing but it's all i've got right now and if I don't get a certain internship that could easily provide funds for the purchase of the new Macbook Pro (retina) or a refurb 09/10 Pro (quad, maybe eight), i'm wondering if the upgrades i'm considering will actually help.

Its the mid 2009 macbook with the 2.13 Core 2 Duo plus NVIDIA GeForce 9400m 256mb (shared).

This macbook is 90% plugged in and closed with several USB peripherals. I'm running two external monitors, a 24 and 23, one via mini-displayport and another via a USB video card, the HIS Multiview 2, which runs like a charm aside from lack of calibration and a somewhat pathetic frame rate, but it gets the job done.

1st: Ram

I'm currently sitting on 4 GB of ram. With my typical work processes running (Chrome, Mail, Spotify, and Photoshop and Illustrator CS4, sometimes plus Activity Monitor) i'm looking at my page ins 36gb and page outs alomst 5gb, with all but 33 mb being sucked up of the ram. I'm looking at getting 6, which is supported. I'm not sure if it's worth it though if the processor is maxed out, though around 60 is typically always idle unless i'm running a process in photoshop or loading a webpage. I've seldom seen it maxed unless I was hardcore rendering something, and system only takes up tops 20%.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/6400DDR2S6GP/

2nd: HHD

I have a 500gb 7200rpm seagate with a 16mb catch and 3gbs connection. I've considered swapping it for a 240 SSD made by OWC. I've also considered pulling out the CD drive, since those are practically old news, and putting the SSD in it's place. I know it's possible. Would I benefit, especially if the 500 was soley storage based with all system processes and programs running off the SSD? If I did the swap with the CD drive i'd probably get a 60 or 120gb SSD to save money, and I don't have more than 30 gigs in apps (for now). Also another question: there's 3G SSD's and 6G SSD's. I'm not sure if I would benefit from a 6G as per system profile the link speed is only 3 Gigabit, negotated down to 1.5 (not sure as to that either, though i'm on a temp 160 5400 drive since the other is in repair).

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/SSDEX3G240/

Last: Battery

Cycle count: 580. I can get maybe an hour if I use the internet, 2 tops if I shutoff wifi, internet, and use only pages. Nupower a good brand? 60.5 watt hours. Not gonna lie don't fully understand, I would like to see 5 hours on this thing with internet and documents since this is my main piece of paper for classes (I don't write well).

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/MacBook_13_White

Input? Of course i'm doing loads of research on mac pros and the macbook retina, but if I can get this piece of junk, that mosty runs fine, a speed boost and make it purr good i'll get the mac pro instead of putting this on the shelf or tossing it hand-me-down style to my little brother. All these upgrades are painfully expensive too (for me at least)(I'm in college).

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.13 Core 2 Duo, 4gb Ram, 500gb HD

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:56 PM

1. 2009 MBs support 6 (early and mid) or 8 GB (late) of RAM

2. Check battery life with coconut Battery or Battery Health or Battery guard, all are graphic interfaces for system data. I have an early 200i MB, and battery still is at 80 %, no need to be replaced now, but will be, for sure.

3. If you neead additional disk space, attach external drives or find a 1 TB hard disk or both

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2012 11:56 PM in response to Matteodavidking

1. 2009 MBs support 6 (early and mid) or 8 GB (late) of RAM

2. Check battery life with coconut Battery or Battery Health or Battery guard, all are graphic interfaces for system data. I have an early 200i MB, and battery still is at 80 %, no need to be replaced now, but will be, for sure.

3. If you neead additional disk space, attach external drives or find a 1 TB hard disk or both

Will I benefit from some upgrades to an 09 white macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.