Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New Apple TV 2 doesn't work out of the box - HDCP error ;-(

Why is there no minimum HDMI cable specification on the Apple TV Store pages or Apple TV pages?

Getting HDCP errors when you have just bought a new Apple TV really *****!!!

The customer is left wondering is my new apple device faulty, or my tv, or my cable.

It would be great if the Apple TV pages said ..... "The Apple TV requires a minimum HDMI cable specification of xxxxxxxx that supports xxxxxxxx to avoid incompatibilities that cause HDCP errors to appear when trying to play content."

Apple please sort this out ASAP, so other mac fans and customers do not have the terrible experience that I have had.

AppleTV 2, Minimum HDMI cable specification

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 1:37 AM

8 replies

Jun 16, 2012 4:44 AM in response to Jamster99

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Why is there no minimum HDMI cable specification on the Apple TV Store pages or Apple TV pages?

Because that depends on your TV, not the Apple TV. There are only two types of HDMI cable, standard and high-speed. If your TV can support 1080p, you need a high-speed HDMI cable, if not you can use a standard HDMI cable.

If you are getting HDCP errors, it is either because your TV doesn't support HDCP or because your cable is faulty.

Jul 5, 2012 8:28 AM in response to Rudegar

i have sent feedback to Apple regarding the Apple TV.

Sorry for the rant, but its really REALLY frustrating to start hiring a film or AIRPLAY a film and get these errors!!!

What have i done to solve the problem:

1) tried downloading latest apple TV update, didnt fix it.

2) bought a new HDMI lead, the official Apple one from the apple store, that didnt fix it.

3) tried resetting my Apple TV, that didnt fix it.

What more can i do ?

FACTS:

1) i get the "This content requires HDCP for playback' message frequently when hiring movies or when trying to AIRPLAY

2) my original Apple TV never did this, so this implies its NOT my television that is incompatible

3) in some instances various methods of reset let me get past the problem, reset apple TV, reset tele, reset iMac, reset Time Capsule Wifi.

4) My TV can play the content that came up with the error after a power off of the tele, this might prove my tele is not faulty, 2 new cables later.... proves the cable is not faulty... so i am left with Apple TV or streaming media IS FAULTY!

5) I am still receiving these errors frequently!

6) there are two HDMI cable standards, customers need to know this when buying an apple TV (Standard HDMI or High-Speed HDMI).

I get the feeling that a new transmission/streaming standard that came out with apple TV 2 or 3 might be the cause. Or maybe an iTunes update, but i have no way of verifying this. I wonder who else feels the same.

Aug 5, 2012 2:26 PM in response to csjoecho

This is happening to me too. I have been watching my itunes content through a high speed hdmi cable onto an Optoma pico projector 301. It worked fine for a long time and then about a month ago it repeatedly came up with HDCP errors. I have replaced the cable but am getting the same thing.

Apple have you changed something in the latest apple tv update that would stop this working.

Thanks

Brand New Apple TV 2 doesn't work out of the box - HDCP error ;-(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.