Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems in keeping airport express connected to an existing wireless network.

I've just switched from pc to mac hopping that everything just started to work smooth...

As i need to share a printer, acquired an airport express to join an existing wireless network. At first it seems that i was succeeded, got the amber ligth on airport and it showed on the airport utility as part of the network. For a couple of minutes i'm able to share the printer connected to AE and airplay also working ok, but a few minutes later... airport just lost the connection! The wireless network i'm trying to join the airport was instaled by my cable ISP provider (they installed a router which i believe is Hitron).

I've also already tryied to configure the router with the AE mac address in the router mac filter, but the same problem occurs: the first 2-3 minutes everything works just fine and suddenly the airport utility reports that it seem that the airport express is not found!!

Airport Express-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:32 PM

I don't see why editing the express's Mac address filtering is going to help anything. If anything.. it would make things worse if you make a mistake with the addresses.

How far away is the express from the router, and what is in between them if you were to draw an invisible line?

4 replies

Jun 17, 2012 2:20 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

Thanks Hackintosh.

I don't have experience in netwok configuration and don't know what to do.

But i don't think the distance is the problem. I've already tryied several distances, even made a reset to airport and re-join on the same room as the router (next to my macbook pro which had full network signal). Got the same result, sucess for a couple of minutes and then the Airport Express just seems out of range.

Also tryied to edit the Airport express and set it to static IP, but it didn't solve the problem (got the alert message that no DNS server was found.Is this relevant?)

Could it be a configuration problem at the cable modem/router?

Jun 17, 2012 9:08 PM in response to Rui A.

I don't think you should be editing "Static IP" settings etc, if you arenot experienced in this type of stuff. What you could do is re-set up the express with an iOS device, which is good at guessing for correct settings for your sitution.

Though it's possible your problem may be environmental, or even small chance some defective piece of hardware too.

Does the express even disconnect in just 3 minutes without even trying to airplay?

Try power-cycling your main router that's generating the WiFi network.

Jun 21, 2012 4:20 PM in response to HACKINT0SH

After struggling in trying to connect Airport express to my cable operator router (hiltron) i've quited and adopted a different strategy.

just disconnected the hitron router and set up a new wireless with an old belkin N router. Nothing easier. The wireless network is working, airport express connected without problems, and kept connected since then (instead of the brief 2-3 min it used to with the hitron wireless networ).

It seems that the cable hitron router rejects de airport express after 2-3 min.

The problem wasn't with the airport express.

thanks anyway for yout assistance.

Rui

Problems in keeping airport express connected to an existing wireless network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.