Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS won't connect to Airport Express Network despite other 3GS and 4S iPhones connecting fine

We have a household with 3 iPhone 3GS, 1 iPhone 4S, iPad, MacBook, 3 Windows PCs. All can usually connect to the Airport Express WiFi network. However recently one iPhone 3GS phone stoped being able to connect to the Airport Express network.

We tried resetting the iPhone 3GS to factory settings and this did not fix the issue. We eventually had the phone replaced under the insurance I have with our cellular provider.

Now the same iPhone has just started doing exactly the same thing again.

The symptoms are that the iPhone 3GS, sees the Airport Express network, it requests the password. The user enters the password and the little radial spoked wheel rotates endlessly and the iPhone 3GS does not connect to the network. Now the WiFi IS working as I have a 3G/WiFi bridge on test called a WiBE and the phone in question CAN connect to this using WPA/WPA2.

I have rebooted the Airport Extreme and the Airport Express network extenders several times as well as the phone, but it does not make any difference. This iPhone 3GS does not like the Airport Extreme network.

I cannot believe I have a second faulty handset weeks after we had it replaced. Anyway it is not faulty as it successfully connects to a different WiFi network without difficulty.

What is going on here?

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks for any comments

Chris

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 2:10 PM

Just an update.

I engaged Applevsupport this afternoon - they got me to reset the network settings in the affected iPhone. It immediately connected to the network.

Solved by a reset of the network.

2 replies

May 9, 2013 11:27 PM in response to chrisnr

I was having the same issue. Was the latest generation of out the box within the last week. When I plugged in there was a 7.6.2 to 7.6.3 firmware update.

After the firmware update, setup the network. iPad 2nd gen, Samsung Galaxy S4, and computer was working fine. Nexus 7, and 2 iPhone 3GS were not working.

Tried resetting network settings, didn't fix it.

Also tried:

1. Changing Wireless radio mode
  2. Changed Wireless security to none
  3. Added and removed guest network
  4. Enabled and disabled 5GHz (and use wide channel setting)

No effect.

What did fix it was:

1. Reset the airport with reset button on the back
  2. Airport utility asked if I wanted to restore previous config. Said No
  3. Setup with settings again (encryption etc)

Everything working now 🙂

iPhone 3GS won't connect to Airport Express Network despite other 3GS and 4S iPhones connecting fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.