13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2012 10:56 AM by jlvenier
pwwwayne Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

From my (1st gen.) iPad I can instruct wireless printing to my HPLaserjet CPI1525nw.

How can I add my HP Laserjet 6MP so that it too will perform wireless printing?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 4GB SDRAM; 500GB HD
  • 1. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

I went to System Pref for Print & Scan, selected the 6MP printer and checked "Share this computer on the network." (Printer sharing is on.)

Then to HP printer Network Diagnostics, followed several steps, including re-starting my cable modem (& AirportExtreme)

When finished, I get "Cannot find server.  This computer appears to have a working internet connection but cannot find "Hewlett-Packard Laserjet 6MP._pdl-datastream._tcp.local.  You may have typed the address incorrectly."

The part ",_pdl.....etc." is totally unfamiliar to me (I didn't type anything)

Location on 6MP is "My Base Station - Computer Room"

At total loss to how get around this and "find Server"

• 2. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?
    Lanny Level 5 Level 5 (4,485 points)

There are only a handfull of new printers that print from an iPad, and a HP 6MP is too old to be one of them.

Plus, the HP 6MP is an AppleTalk printer, a protocol that Lion doesn't support. So unless you have some kind of network printer server hardware with a parallel connector, I don't see a way that you can use it.

How is the 6MP connected to your network?

• 3. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

Currently the 6MP is connected to network by Ethernet - so it will stay that way.  Thank you

• 4. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

The 6MP doesn't have an Ethernet connector, so you must be using some kind of print server device?

• 5. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

oops, got me!  It has been so many years!  Printer utility shows ethernet connection.  old manual tells me nothing.  Yes, there is a gizmo (see blurry pic) with a logo for "Infowave" but no other info & google gave me no help.

Scaled Image.jpg

• 6. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

That just looks like a parallel plug connector, they are bulky. What's the other end hooked up to?

• 7. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

USB port on AirportExtreme.

and then ethernet connection from AE to MacBook Pro!

• 8. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

Were you ever able to print from this printer with Lion using this connection?

• 9. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

Yes, this is my "standard" hook-up (since installing Lion; I don't remember what the route was when I was in Snow Leopard).

No "troubles" until I wanted to make this printer work from iPad (original post).

Did you see my last line edit of above post?

Message was edited by: pwwwayne

• 10. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

It's not going to work from your iPad. If the printer is not on this list: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US under HP, then it can't be used with your iPad. As I mentioned before, the 6MP is way to old to be on this list.

You're lucky that it still works with your Macs.

• 11. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

So true, So true! (and really still works very well for simple black/white print).

• 12. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?

I had a HP 6MP and was able to continue use of it with an old Asante wireless router that had a built in print server capability with a parallel port. I configured the router to be used as an Ethernet switch. I gave it to my cousins. They're still using it. I think I bought it in the late 90s and it's still on its 2nd or 3rd toner cartridge. I was never able to find a parallel port to USB cable that could be trusted to the job.

• 13. Re: How to enable printer for wireless?
    jlvenier Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a problem connecting my iPad to my wireless printer. I have a cannon that is acceptable and the wireless printer operates thru the same router as all of my other computers operate thru. My iPad is also included. When I try to find the printer it cannot be found. How can I connect the iPad to my wireless printer. Since I am a new iPad owner it would be much appreciated if you can be explicit with your suggestions. Thank you.

jlvenier