Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does the hotspot provide a static ip address

When traveling I need to make updates to a server. We block access to the server and only allow specific IP addresses access. This is helpful when I'm in my office which has a static IP but when I'm away and I connect with my iPhone as a wifi hotspot will my IP address be static or dynamic?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:56 AM

That would be a question for the carrier, Apple has nothing to do with this.

2 replies

Jan 31, 2013 3:17 PM in response to rbiweb

I am now having exactly the same issue with my carrier. I needed static ip to connect to internet, via iphone 3GS, ios6.1 on my laptop for business use. I was planning to use hotspot of my phone by USB connection. I aplied to Vodafone Turkey to collect a static ip which they did after making me pass to another package. They have asked to change APN on celular data section from "iphone" to "internetstatik" and asked to make it off and on. Result was loosing Peronal hotspot at all.

Although I have explained my configuration and purpose to use at the beginning they have not mentioned anything till I call them again when I lost personal hotspot. Their reply was Apple is accepting only one APN from each carrier so hotspot will not come back with a different APN rather than "iphone". Is this true? Is hotspot can't be used with a different APN and so with static IP?

I am not sure Vodafone Turkey is aware the issue or not but they have said that this is Apple's preference and it is working with different phones than iphone.

Is there a solution for this? Actually static ip working for iphone but because it needed a different APN, it is useless for me unless I can't use internet on my laptop. I don't want to change may carrier or phone but at the end I need this and if I can't sort this with existing carrier and phone I will need to.

If this is not the Iphone issue, can you please send a detailed explanation how to do so that I can share with Vodafone Turkey and solve the problem.

Please help.

does the hotspot provide a static ip address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.