Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend Linksys network with Airport Extreme

Hi! I want to extend my current network, using a Linksys Router with an Airport Extreme and I want to do it Wiressly. Can I do that?

Thank you!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:04 AM

11 replies

Jun 16, 2012 11:30 AM in response to jmml97

I'm not clear on which device would be the "main" router and which would be the "exender", but if you can establish an Ethernet connection between the routers, the "extending" router can be configured to provide a wireless network using the same name, same wireless security and same password as the "main" router.

Then, everything will act as one big network.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then a pair of Ethernet powerline adapters might be able to send the "Ethernet" signal over the existing powerlines in your home. These devices will not work as well as an Ethernet cable, and sometimes are "iffy" depending on the wiring in a home.

But, if you cannot run the Ethernet cable, this is really the only other option.

If you decide to try the Ethernet powerline adapters, it would be a good idea to understand the store's return policy...in case things don't work out with these devices.

Jun 17, 2012 7:24 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for these posts Bob, but could you clarify how one would configure the Time Capsule to extend coverage if it is connected by Ethernet to the "main" router?

I have a similar (but not exactly the same) situation. I have an Arris cable modem/wireless router provided by my cable provider (Time Warner Cable) which is (a) providing the internet connection, (b) has a mac mini desktop and my Time Capsule connected via wired ethernet, and (c) serves a number of wifi devices. I would like to provide wifi coverage elsewhere in my home using my Time Capsule.

I've connected my Time Capsule (LAN port) to the router via wired Ethernet, and that connection seems to be working fine as long as I turn the wireless functionality on my Time Capsule off (since the hard drive functionality of the Time Capsule is recognized by my other devices). But when I turn on the wireless functionality, either using the "Extend a Wireless Network" or "Create a New Wireless Network", things go less swimmingly. The Time Capsule indiator light is yellow and it either gives the "Time Capsule does not have valid IP address" or the "Time Capsule cannot extend the network" error messages or my mac mini loses the ability to see the Time Capsule (causing me to need to reset the Time Casule). I surmise it might be a conflict with the DHCP settings, but can't quite figure out how, conceptually, this is supposed to work.

Jun 17, 2012 7:38 AM in response to JasenFromNY

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <-> ports on your main router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule (TC).

Configure the TC to create a wireless network using the exact same wireless network name, exact same wireless security settings, and same password that your "main" router is using.

The tricky part here is getting the wireless security settings matched up. You have to know exactly what type of wireless security the main router is using to be able to provide the same settings to the TC.

If the TC is not provided with exactly the same info, then the network will not function correctly....you will have 2 separate wireless networks instead of one roaming network.

The TC must be set to operate in Bridge Mode as the final step before you click Update to save the configuration settings on the TC.

You should see a green light on the TC in 25-30 seconds.

Then it is very important to power down the entire network

Wait a minute

Start the modem first and let it run by itself for a minute or two

Start the main router next the same way

Start the TC next the same way

Continue starting other devices one at a time until everything is powered back up.

Sep 5, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

DO NOT LISTEN TO BOB TIMMONS HE IS VERY MUCH INCORRECT. I know this is an old post. But, when people Google such a question. They may end up on this thread so I have to correct the incorrect information provided by Bob Timmons. The Apple Airports, even from 2012, support WDS (Wireless Distribution System). Which was pointed out earlier by the original poster. Since Apple does support this protocol natively ANY WIFI router made by ANY MANUFACTURER that supports WDS can be used to extend a network using the Apple Airport as the main WIFI router. Simple question which should have been given the simple answer of "Yes, if the WIFI router supports WDS". Unfortunately Bob Timmons assumed that since it is Apple it is not compatible with anything else other then Apple. As well, his "idea" of using an ethernet cord would prove to cause problems since it would be a separate access point even with the same exact settings and would not transition smoothly to the extended WIFI router. You would in fact using Bob Timmons way have to disconnect from the Airport then connect to the extending WIFI router manually every time. Using the WDS protocol you would not even notice the transition.

Sep 5, 2015 8:41 AM in response to bobeides

The Apple Airports, even from 2012, support WDS (Wireless Distribution System)

No, they do not with AirPort Utility 6.x, which has been standard for over 3 years.. Look on any version of AirPort Utility 6.x and you will not find any settings for WDS....because they are not there.

If you think that is is incorrect, then surely you will be able post screenshots of the WDS settings that you are able to see in AirPort Utility 6.x....which no one else can.

As a further check, please call Apple Support and ask them if WDS has been supported in any version of AirPort Utility 6.x. You won't like the answer, but it will be correct.

Feb 27, 2016 9:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

No, they do not with AirPort Utility 6.x, which has been standard for over 3 years.. Look on any version of AirPort Utility 6.x and you will not find any settings for WDS....because they are not there.

If you think that is is incorrect, then surely you will be able post screenshots of the WDS settings that you are able to see in AirPort Utility 6.x....which no one else can.

As a further check, please call Apple Support and ask them if WDS has been supported in any version of AirPort Utility 6.x. You won't like the answer, but it will be correct.

User uploaded file

This is version 6.3.6, which probably came out after your post Bob. I believe this is the WDS setting.

But I can't get my Airport Extreme to connect to my Buffalo wireless router using the correct SSID, security, password, and without any MAC address security.

Extend Linksys network with Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.