Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it better to export iMovies with an aspect ratio of "standard" or "widescreen"

Is it better to export an iMovie with an aspect ratio of "standard" or "widescreen?"

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:10 AM

Hi

Depends

• on how material was recorded - SD-video (4x3) or HD-Wide-material (16x9) ?

• on how it's to be playbacked - Projector capability, Flat-screen TV or old CRT-TV

I would try to get as much info from the picture over to the viewer

e.g. interlaced SD-Video (4x3)

• Use iMovie HD6 or FinalCut any version

• Make a 4x3 project

• if DVD - make it 4x3 too

If I know that there is a full HD 16x9 projector / flat-screen that will show it

• Use iMovie'09 to 11

• Save it as Optimized Full HD on an USB-memory - and in max quality .H264 codec (e.g. to be played via a PlayStation3 and onto a Full Quality HD screen)

Yours Bengt W

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2012 11:10 AM in response to ctinaschraeder

Hi

Depends

• on how material was recorded - SD-video (4x3) or HD-Wide-material (16x9) ?

• on how it's to be playbacked - Projector capability, Flat-screen TV or old CRT-TV

I would try to get as much info from the picture over to the viewer

e.g. interlaced SD-Video (4x3)

• Use iMovie HD6 or FinalCut any version

• Make a 4x3 project

• if DVD - make it 4x3 too

If I know that there is a full HD 16x9 projector / flat-screen that will show it

• Use iMovie'09 to 11

• Save it as Optimized Full HD on an USB-memory - and in max quality .H264 codec (e.g. to be played via a PlayStation3 and onto a Full Quality HD screen)

Yours Bengt W

Is it better to export iMovies with an aspect ratio of "standard" or "widescreen"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.