Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pink skies in Nik Apps since upgrade to Aperture 3.3

I have successfully upgraded to Aperture 3.3, thankfully without any of the problems experienced by others. However, I appear to have a glitch that affects editing in any of the colour Nik plug-ins (HDR Efex, etc).

When I export a file for editing by one of the plug-ins, clouds become rendered pink by the plug-in. I have been back over a lot of landscapes, taken on numerous different cameras, and this happens with all of them, so it is not camera-specific. If I edit a photo in one of the Nik plug-ins and save it, the pink is there in the saved version when viewed in Aperture or anywhere else. If I discard the edit and return to Aperture, the pink disappears. It is therefore specific to the photos coming in from Aperture to the plug-ins.

All of the photos are fine when viewed in Aperture. The change ONLY happens when imported into a Nik plug-in. I'm talking JPEG files here, not RAW, btw.

Anyone else experienced this and have a solution. I use the Nik plug-ins a lot, and can be certain that this colour aberration did not happen before the Aperture 3.3 upgrade.

Thanks.

Tom

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:08 AM

4 replies

Jun 20, 2012 10:19 AM in response to Tomp2

Just an update on this, though no one has replied.

A bit more experimentation shows that it is not just actually that render pink, it is anything white. The skies in the shots I experiemted with were white, which is what made me think it was skies that were the problem (somehow). Since then, I have tried importing shots to NIK colour-handling plug-ins that have blue skies and clouds. The skies stay blue, but the clouds render pink.

The same goes for cityscales (say) with white buildings - they render pink too.

The issue I have therefore seems to be the NIK plugins interpreting white sent from Aperture as pink.

Any thoughts?

Tom

Jun 20, 2012 10:47 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

*Slaps self hard around the head*

Why did I not think of looking there?

You are right, of course. That's where the issue lay. When I upgraded to Aperture 3.3, the upgrade clearly over-wrote the Adobe Color Space I had previously specified, and substituted the color space for my Canon printer in the "export" field. Changing it has completely solved the problem as far as I can see.

I had not expected the upgrade to overwrite user preferences. I wonder whether the fact that it appears to do so in some cases will answer problems others are having. Hasn't solved my issues with Photostream, however. Even with all the preferences off, Aperture is busy exporting away!

Very many thanks, Kirby.

Tom

Jun 20, 2012 10:54 AM in response to Tomp2

Glad to help. Don't hurt yourself 😁 .

Tomp2 wrote:

I had not expected the upgrade to overwrite user preferences. I wonder whether the fact that it appears to do so in some cases will answer problems others are having.

Imho, upgrades *must* inform users of changes made to user prefs. Somewhere in my notes about Ap3.3 is another pref that was changed. *Looks at a terminal morraine of Post-Its, index cards, detached Moleskine pages, paper towels (some written on), eye-glass wipes, out-dated PDF print-outs, and chocolate bar wrappers ... * Don't recall which one it was, though.

Pink skies in Nik Apps since upgrade to Aperture 3.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.