Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So nobody can help with this one ?

I am up and running, but prior to losing all my settings on my Airport Express I was able to switch off the Wireless on my MBP and just use the Ethernet Cable which is to connected to my AirPort Express (the Airport Express is connected Wirelessly to the TC in my hallway)

Now I can't get this to work, with the wireless on my MBP switched off I can no longer obtaint a connection via the Ethernet cable)

Any ideas?

AirPort Express 1st Generation -OTHER

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 12:15 PM

7 replies

Jun 16, 2012 12:50 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I was going to post "where is Bob when you need him" !!

Unfortunatly, this is how I had it set up. I looked at your previous posts to make sure I was set up correctly. I have just powered down both devices and have rechecked that the Expess is set to "Extend a wireless network". I I am using Lion.

As soon as I switch the Wireless off I get a the message 'no internet connection" when I try to access a web page !!

Jun 16, 2012 2:48 PM in response to Abcat

OK,thanks for the info.

Please try another Ethernet cable with the laptop and Express to see if it might be something as simple as a poor cable. If you still get the same results, we'll assume that the Ethernet cable(s) are good.

Power off the Express for the time being.

Connect your laptop directly to one of the LAN <-> ports on the TC using the same Ethernet cable, turn off wireless on the laptop, etc. and see if you can get an Internet connection that way.

Assuming that you can, move the Express much closer to the TC and test that way.

Post on your results, please.

Jun 17, 2012 6:29 AM in response to Abcat

I have done exactly as you advised & the cable wasn't faulty

Thanks, I understand that the Ethernet cable works OK.

I can confirm that I am unable to establish a connection with the same Ethernet cable plugged directly in the TC LAN ports

Hmm, this statement indicates that the Ethernet cable was not working. Sorry, I am confused. Or, did you mean to say that you were able to get a connection?

Jun 17, 2012 7:02 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, I must have confused you, sorry. Just to recap I tried another cable, had exactly the same problem.

I turned the Express off as recommended, then using my existing cable plugged it in to the LAN ports on my TC none of them worked.

It's possible then that both these cables are faulty? I have just tried a 3rd cable in one of the TC LAN ports with the Express turned off - no joy 😟

I'm not too fussed as I have WI-FI connection, more perplexed as it has always worked before.

I doubt if this is relevant which is why I have mentioned it before. I'm experiencing reduced speeds at the moment. My ISP has upgraded the line from 40 - 80 Meg and something has gone wrong here, the speed I'm obtaining is now less than I had before. They are meant to be addressing this but it taking forever. Like I said I doubt if this has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

Jun 17, 2012 7:24 AM in response to Abcat

The fact that the TC is possibly not operating correctly may affect how it "extends" the signal.

I would turn off the AirPort Express for now, and work on getting the TC working correctly.

Start with a power down, wait a few minutes, then power back up.

Check to make sure that your laptop can connect using Ethernet to the TC with wireless turned off on the laptop.

If the Ethernet connection still does not work when you test this, you may have a bad Ethernet port on the laptop, or Ethernet is not configured correctly on the laptop. That would explain why you cannot connect using Ethernet on the laptop with both the TC and the Express.

Here, I am assuming that the TC is acting as the router on your network and the Ethernet ports are working. Test another device using Ethernet to confirm if you need to.

If the Ethernet connection works correctly with wireless turned off on the laptop, then disconnect the Ethernet cable and test the laptop using wireless to make sure that it is working correctly with the wireless signal that the TC provides.

If that test works, then you can re-check the AirPort Express again to make sure that it has been setup to "Extend" a wireless network.

If yes, and the Ethernet connection still does not work, I have to conclude that you have a bad Ethernet port on the AirPort Express.

So nobody can help with this one ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.