Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro key dimmer than others?

First off, I have ocd with things not being perfect. But recently, I've noticed that on my keyboard, the letter B and the number 7 have been the "dimmest" keys. They both function perfectly and look perfect when you look from above. It's just from certain angles (particularly the front angle) I can tell the letter B and 7 are dim. I was just wondering if I should be concerned or is it normal? They both light up regardless. Hopefully I'm not the only one whose noticed this.

Thank you for any helpUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 12:38 PM

There is nothing wrong with your keyboard.

In certain angles, I too see that the #7 and the B key does look like it's not lit up.

But if you look at it from the top, in the dark, they're actually the same brightness as the other keys.

I know this because I just tested it right now while replying to your concern.

I'll go a step further, the right hand side of my space bar, under a certain angle doesn't look lit up either but it is.

I think that when apple designed the backlit on the keyboard, it was design for users to look down on them and not to look at them on an angle.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2012 12:38 PM in response to Viper619

There is nothing wrong with your keyboard.

In certain angles, I too see that the #7 and the B key does look like it's not lit up.

But if you look at it from the top, in the dark, they're actually the same brightness as the other keys.

I know this because I just tested it right now while replying to your concern.

I'll go a step further, the right hand side of my space bar, under a certain angle doesn't look lit up either but it is.

I think that when apple designed the backlit on the keyboard, it was design for users to look down on them and not to look at them on an angle.

Oct 23, 2012 8:40 PM in response to Viper619

OK. That's a little freaky. I have the same OCD tendencies. And I kid you not, I found this post by googling for one key dimmer than others on macbook pro keyboard. There are two keys that caught my attention. The "7" key and the "B" key! And yes, it is most noticeable from the front. I was going to take it in and ask if there was something wrong but maybe I won't now.

Amazing...

Macbook Pro key dimmer than others?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.