Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS-X Lion 10.7.4 Create a Boot Disk Problem

Dear All,

I have a problem today I downloaded the new OS-X 10.7.4 Lion from the App Store and then I tried to create an HD to make a clean-install always the same way as before creandro a disk image using disk utility. Unfortunately at the end of the transaction in fact this does not happen. And 'perhaps changed the procedure from ver. 10.7.4?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Alessandro Catalano

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Intel Core 2 Duo 2,8Ghz & SSD

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 1:12 PM

7 replies

Jun 16, 2012 1:33 PM in response to Kappy

Dear Kappy,

My MBP is already upgraded to OS X 10.7.4 and everything is ok. As I wrote once I downloaded the 10.7.4 so I can create a boot disk for a clean install when replacing a new SSD HD. Thus, following the procedure already extensively described by Shared Support folder I tried to do the disk image file "InstallESD.dmg" with "Disk Utility". Unfortunately at the end of the restore process I get the following error: Can not Restore - Argument not valid.

The following steps I had already done that with both the 10.7 with 10.7.3 ... now, why not work with 10.7.4?

I hope I was clearer.

thanks anyway

Alessandro Catalano

Jun 16, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Alessandro Catalano

Exactly how are you redownloading the Lion installer? Are you doing this on a machine running Snow Leopard? Or are you trying to perform an Internet restore and "capturing" the installer application when the download has completed?

I understand you are following some procedure you've done in the past, but you haven't outlined what that procedure is, so I really have no idea what you did.

Are you planning on replacing your HDD with a new SSD and want to know how to install Lion on the SSD?

Jun 16, 2012 1:56 PM in response to Alessandro Catalano

No Kappy

This is the procedure:

Here are the steps to follow:

Part 1: for all types of media

Once purchased Leone, find the installer on your Mac is a Mac OS X chiamainstallazione Lion.app need to type and be in / Applications.

Right click (or Control + click) on the installer and choose Show Package Contents from the contextual menu.

In the folder that appears, open content, you'll see an image file chiamatoInstallESD.dmg.

Launch Disk Utility (in / Applications / Utilities).

Drag the image InstallESD.dmg disk in Disk Utility.

Right click (or Control + click) the installer Leone to view its contents.

The next steps depend on whether you want to create a bootable disk or bootable flash drive or a DVD.

Second part: to create a bootable disk or USB flash drive

In Disk Utility, select InstallESD.dmg in the sidebar, then click the Restore button in the main part of the window.

InstallESD.dmg Drag the icon in the Source field on the right.

Connect to your Mac hard drive or USB flash drive that you want to use for your bootable installer Lion.

In Disk Utility, find this destination drive in the sidebar and then drag it to the Destination field on the right. Warning: The next step will erase the destination drive, so make sure that does not contain important data.

Click Restore and, if required, enter username and password as an administrator.

Now with version 10.7.4 does not work anymore.

Alessandro

Jun 16, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Alessandro Catalano

OK. Here's how it can be done:

Make Your Own Lion Installer

1. After downloading Lion you must first save the Install Mac OS X Lion application. After Lion downloads DO NOT click on the Install button. Go to your Applications folder and make a copy of the Lion installer. Move the copy into your Downloads folder. Now you can click on the Install button. You must do this because the installer deletes itself automatically when it finishes installing Lion.

2. Get a USB flash drive that is at least 8 GBs. Prep this flash drive as follows:

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
  2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
  4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
  5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
  6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

3. Locate the saved Lion installer in your Downloads folder. CTRL- or RIGHT-click on the installer and select Show Package Contents from the contextual menu. Double-click on the Contents folder to open it. Double-click on the SharedSupport folder. In this folder you will see a disc image named InstallESD.dmg.

4. Plug in your freshly prepared USB flash drive. You are going to clone the InstallESD.dmg disc image to the flash drive as follows:

1. Open Disk Utility.
  2. Select the USB flash drive from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the USB flash drive volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Drag the InstallESD.dmg disc image file into the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

When the clone is completed you have a fully bootable Lion installer that you can use without having to re-download Lion.

Now, the issue here is downloading the Lion installer application because you already have Lion installed but you don't have a saved copy of the Lion installer app. Is this correct?

Jun 16, 2012 3:35 PM in response to Alessandro Catalano

Why don't you put your SSD into an external enclosure. Boot to the Recovery HD from your current Lion system. Use Disk Utility to partition and format the SSD. Then Reinstall Lion but select the SSD as the target for the installation. Now you have to watch very carefully as the download is about to be completed. Immediately after the download finishes an Install button or Restart button will appear. You must physically stop the procedure at that point - immediately after that Install or Restart button appears you need to abort the process. The best way to do that is to physically disconnect the target drive from the computer.

After you restart your computer and reconnect the external drive you will find the InstallESD.dmg file on the drive that you can use to create the bootable installer.

OS-X Lion 10.7.4 Create a Boot Disk Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.