9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2012 4:55 PM by OGELTHORPE
MalloryA Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've tried doing things that I've seen from similar questions on here, such as resetting the SMC and downloading fan control software. Sadly, nothing works! This fan is driving me nuts... and I'm about to go to college so I don't want to annoy others with it. If anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.
    Bimmer 7 Series Level 6 Level 6 (10,270 points)

Is your MBP running hot to make the fan spin fast?

The only way to figure out what's wrong is to see what's loading at startup and what's using most of your cpu resources to make your fan spin loud.

Another thing to do, if you're not running anything in the background, is to take your MBP to your local computer repair shop, preferably an Apple Authozired Dealer and have them open the back of your MBP and blow out any dust that has accumulated in years of usage.

• 2. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.
    Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (226,775 points)

The fans in all notebooks run continuously. There are two in MBPs. They run at a typical idle speed of 2000 RPM.

• 3. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.

Should it be running really loudly though? Friends of mine also own MBPs and theirs aren't nearly as loud.

• 4. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.

If your MB is running hot then the fan will spin faster which will be louder than your friend's MBP.

If you have dust accumulation inside your MBP, then your fan is working overtime to keep your MBP running cooler.

• 5. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.

It's always run this loud though. Maybe something is just wrong with it... I guess I'll have to take it somewhere.

• 6. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.
    Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (226,775 points)

It's more a question of knowing why the fans are running and how fast they are running. Usually it's because something is causing a lot of heat generation. So what you need to do is get us some diagnostic information. I would suggest you install iStat Pro 4.92. This is a free utility that provides a widget that displays information including fan speed and CPU/GPU temperatures.

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder.  Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu.  Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order.  If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time, then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar.  Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process.  Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Also, boot into Safe Mode then do:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list.  In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive.  If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

• 7. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.

I downloaded the iStat Pro, and on the "Fan" section it said 0 RPM... Not sure why it would say that.

• 8. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.

That could mean a hardware issue. ( i could be wrong )

If iStat Pro can't detect your FAN RPM then you Fan sensor could be defective, hence the fan constantly running at high speed.  It doesn't know when to stop.

What is your CPU temp?

Take it to Apple to verify that your fan is working properly.

• 9. Re: My 2009 MacBook Pro has always had a fan that constantly runs.
    OGELTHORPE Level 7 Level 7 (25,775 points)

Run the Apple Hardware Test and see if it picks up a problem.  There may be a bad temperature sensor.

Ciao.