Skip navigation

unify aperture and iphoto libraries: the book (tricky) issue

3383 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2012 12:49 PM by léonie RSS
HugoMe Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 16, 2012 3:52 PM

I had been in the process of migrating from iPhoto to Aperture for a while now.
I imported iPhoto library in Aperture few monthes ago and am now using only Aperture.

Everything is fine for two things:

- I could not import the books (format is not compatible), so i had to keep the iPhoto library

- I didn't want to duplicate the orignals , so they are still in iPhoto library

With Aperture 3.3, the library could be unified with iPhoto

I would like to move all originals to Aperture library and still be able to open from iPhoto (so far, easy) but also keep the iPhoto books (which as far as i know are still incompatible with aperture books formats)

In other words, i want one aperture library, including masters, and I want to be able to open it from iPhoto, and still keep the old books (that were built from the initial iPhoto library) in iPhoto

Any clue ?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2x2.66 dual core xeon
  • léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,405 points)

With Aperture 3.3, the library could be unified with iPhoto

I would like to move all originals to Aperture library and still be able to open from iPhoto (so far, easy) but also keep the iPhoto books (which as far as i know are still incompatible with aperture books formats)

Hello,

If you upgrade to Aperture 3.3. and iPhoto 9.3 this should be easy.

Yes, Aperture cannot edit iPhoto Books - when I open a library containing an iPhoto Book and select the book in the Library Inspector , I see this message:

PrintPorjects.png

But if you import an iPhoto Library containing a book to Aperture, then Aperture will also import the Book, and to edit the book you simply have to open the Aperture Library in iPhoto. When you are done with editing the book, quit iPhoto again, and open the library again in Aperture. So you can continue to use iPhoto to edit your iPhoto books, even if the Book now resides in the Aperture Library.

In other words, i want one aperture library, including masters, and I want to be able to open it from iPhoto, and still keep the old books (that were built from the initial iPhoto library) in iPhoto

This is not quite clear to me: Are the iPhoto images you imported to Aperture now still referenced inside the iPhoto library? In that case I would consolidate them into the  Aperture library before proceeding with upgrading to Aperture 3.3. And use the "copy" option when you consolidate, to keep your iPhoto Library in a working condition, at least for a short time longer. I hope you have enough disk space for this. The problem is, you will also have to upgrade iPhoto to 9.3 and this will upgrade the iPhoto Library, and this is risky with Aperture referencing this library.

So my suggestion:

1. While still on Aperture 3.2.4: Consolidate the referenced master image files into the Aperture library, backup your Aperture Library, and run the Aperture Library First Aid Tools: rebuild Database to ensure the Library does not have any problems. (To launch Aperture into the First Aid Mode hold down the ⌥⌘-key combination while you launch Aperture).
    2. Upgrade to Aperture 3.3 and open the library in Aperture 3.3 to upgrade the library.
    3. Backup your iPhoto Library.
    4. Upgrade iPhoto to iPhoto 9.3 and open your iPhoto Library in iPhoto 9.3 to upgrade the iPhoto Library.
    5. Then import your iPhoto Library into the Aperture Library (File > Import > Library) and use the  "Merge" option. This should import not only the images but also the books.

Now you should be able to open your unified library in iPhoto or in Aperture as you like it. Test in both applications, before you remove your iPhoto Library.

Regards

Léonie

How many images are in your Book?

If it is only hundred images, you could duplicate the iPhoto library (copy using the Finder), and then in the duplicate library delete all events but the ones used in your book.

Then merge this small iPhoto Library Duplicate into your current Aperture Library. You will risk that these 100  images may be duplicated, if Aperture does not recognize them as already contained in the library, but I think to track down these duplicates will not be too much work.

Or is there more content you still need to transfer?

Added: Once you have your Book inside Aperture you can consolidate your Aperture Library after testing, that this new Library works well with iPhoto too. And then backup and delete the iPhoto Library.

(By the way, the upgrading to 3.3 and IPhoto 9 did not go wrong, even on the referenced photos)

That is good to know - I really was worried what might happen if you upgrade an iPhoto library referenced by Aperture.

Regards

Léonie

Hi,

you just raised my points to a round 10000!    Thanks a lot!

Do you have an external disk for an experiment? You could duplicate your current Aperture Library, perhaps on an external drive and then import your iPhoto library into it. select merge, not add.

Then we will know, if you get too many duplicates. But perhaps you are lucky - since Aperture is referencing the very same images inside iPhoto it shoud be able to recognize the images as already imported.

Maybe i could anyway tag the photos in it and delete all photos but the one not tagged.

In Book view most of the tagging controls are disabled - I see only the "Rating"  active.

Cheers

Léonie

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,550 points)

Congratulations!  Earned with aplomb  :-) .  --Kirby.

(Sent from my magic glass.)

Thank you Kirby! Much appreciated!

I see you also just crossed another 1000-Rubicon - my congrats, great !

Cheers

Léonie

There is an Aperture Version of Duplicate Annihilator, but I doubt, if anybody already has experience with testing it in Aperture 3.3.

Hi Hugo,

that looks like a lot of work, but I am glad that you found a solution and could unify your libraries. Enjoy!

Léonie

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.