Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what should the settings be for standard and fixed-width font

I have a late 2010 iMac - Lion 10.7.4 - Safari 5.1.7

Sure my eyes are crook (not good) these days, but my glasses work a treat -

I run my screen at 2560x1440 which gives a beautiful picture, however some items appear small, this problem is amplified in Safari.

In Safari preferences -

Under "Appearance"

What are the correct settings for standard and fixed-width font?

I have the "Default encoding" set as Western (ISO Latin 1)

Under "Advanced"

In Universal Acess I have selected "Never use a font sizes smaller than - 18 What should it be?

I often have to reduce that to 12 to make the fonts in many web pages unscramble and align correctly.

Style sheet - None Selected.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 7:30 PM

1 reply

Jun 18, 2012 4:50 AM in response to Limeblossom

I am a recently retired webmaster and fortunately have fewer eye problems than most people my age. I have astigmatism and, in common with most people over 40, have reduced accommodation. Perhaps because I have spent considerable time in front of computer screens my eyes focus most easily at screen distance. I use low power long distance glasses to watch television and drive after dark. I use low power reading glasses for small print such as maps and repairing small items. Most of the time I don't need glasses.

There is no such thing as standard settings for font size or style. It is entirely a matter of personal preference.

Here are my settings:

34cm x 27cm Apple Studio Display set to millions of colours and a resolution of 1280 x 1024

Safari 'standard' font set to Geneva 14

Safari fixed width font set to Courier 14

Default encoding set to Western (ISO Latin 1)

Minimum font size set to 10

Geneva is a very old Apple font optimised for screen use. I still find it more readable than other fonts under a wide range of conditions.

I assume you know about Zoom settings to override the above:

cmd + to increase size

cmd - to decrease size

cmd 0 to return to 'normal' size

I set 'Zoom Text Only' on the view menu.

You can also create your own style sheet to obtain even more control. Here is a Google search link about these:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=browser+%27style+sheet%27+%27visually+impa ired%27&as_qdr=all&newwindow=1&num=100

I have written many style sheets but not for visually impaired. I am happy to assist if required.

what should the settings be for standard and fixed-width font

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.