Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update not showing available updates (but says new software is available)

I discovered this problem on my desktop computer when I was having trouble updating iTunes, but I've now found that it is also happening on my laptop, which runs a different version of Windows.

When I run Apple Software Update, it checks for updates and says that new software is available, but then there aren't any updates listed to select. I just noticed this behavior today when I tried to use USD to update iTunes on one of my machines to 10.6.3. The last time I used USD it was working fine, and there were a couple of pieces of software (iCloud Control Panel, Safari) available, but I chose not to install them. Now they don't show up on the list (or rather, there *is no list*). I have this same issue with two different computers, one running Vista and one running Windows 7.

A search of the forums turned up multiple mentions of what sounds like the same problem, and the solution typically involved moving files from some Library folder to the desktop (which I guess in some way 'resets' the updater). However, all of the examples I found involved Mac OS's, and I don't know where the relevant files would be found on my PC (assuming they are the same).

Has anyone had this problem with the Windows Software Update program and found a solution?

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 7:43 PM

12 replies

Jun 27, 2012 11:39 AM in response to lkadlec

I have done some testing of this problem and it seems to be something on Apple's end. I have had this problem of Apple Software Updater stating there are new updates available but doesn't display what they are. I had a computer image that is a year old and hasn't had any of the recent updates applied to it. When I loaded this image it has the same problem. So it isn't a recent update from Microsoft or Apple that created this problem we are experiencing. I really believe it has something to do with the way their update servers are displaying the information.

Sep 12, 2012 2:27 PM in response to lkadlec

SOLVED IT

1. Right click on Apple Software Update in the Start Menu and bring up the Properties Window
  2. Select the Security tab
  3. Select your Username (don't worry about what rights the computer Administrators group has, it does not apply here) and select Edit
  4. After you pressed Edit, you should have a Window that shows all the computer groups (Administrators, etc.) and usernames (yours and other users (if any)) on your computer. Select yours.
  5. Change your Rights to Full Control, press OK.
  6. Press Apply, applying the changed settings to Apple Software Update, then press OK to close the Properties Window.

You can now run Apple Software Update and see what programs (updates) there are to download. For some reason, the latest update which came down gave the computer user (in this case, you--meaning pitiful us) no rights other than deleting. This meant that we could not see anything--no updates, nothing. What we just did through this list was give the ability back to the user.

Software Update not showing available updates (but says new software is available)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.