Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro Retina - Migration Asst - USB 3

Will USB3 work with Migration Assistant in MBPro Retina?

Mine is on the way and to migrate from earlier MBPro, my plan is to clone drive and use a NewerTech Voyager with USB3 interface as source to migrate to new computer. Previously, Ethernet and Firewire worked but of course no firewire.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 8:42 PM

3 replies

Jun 16, 2012 8:57 PM in response to Ned Soltz

There was some discussion here yesterday from owners of MBP-R's saying that they are not getting USB 3 speeds on USB 3 drives. I don't know if that's a problem on all the MBP-R's or not. Some could not even get the drive to be recongnized. Are you going to use a Time Machine back-up to the drive and then restore from the disk when your new computer arrives? That would be my recommendation.

Clinton

Jun 16, 2012 9:17 PM in response to Ned Soltz

I'd use Time Machine this time around (note that I have limited experience with CCC and have been using TM since it first came out).

You could use your current machine and make TM back-ups to it, so that they'll be up-to-the-minute when your new machine arrives, using Firewire. And then use USB 3 (and keep your fingers crossed) to restore your TM back-up to your new machine.

That's what I'd do...

Clinton

New MacBook Pro Retina - Migration Asst - USB 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.