Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

startup disk is full

I keep getting error messages saying my startup disk is full, so I delete a bunch of things, look in about this Mac, it says I have multiple GB available and then over time they disappear and I get the error message again. earlier today I had 8 GB, they all disappeared, so I deleted a big iphoto album and got a new 13 GB, now 45 minutes later it is down to 10GB....

MacBook Air (11-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 9:50 PM

6 replies

Jun 16, 2012 9:54 PM in response to Elizabeth Kley

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

You might consider turning off Time Machine snapshots:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter or paste the appropriate command line. Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed.

To turn them ON: sudo tmutil enablelocal

To turn them OFF: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Note that turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

OS X Lion- About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

Jun 16, 2012 10:13 PM in response to Kappy

Hi, sorry, but my time machine is not on....does that matter? I started to do what you suggest and I got a warning that I might delete important files, which scared me 🙂 I am wondering if my problem has something to do with this quoted below from another thread I found, but I can't figure out how to show the hidden files:

I have no idea why your startup disk is full, but I will relate what happened to mine in the even that it may help you. I happened to notice, after my grandchildren were on my Mac, that they had tried to send a large Photo Booth video file via my email to their Mom's email. The file was too large and as such the "send" failed. A few days later, I started getting the pop-up indicating my "startup disk was full...", and letting me know I should delete some files ASAP. That was odd, in that I have a 500GB hard drive and had never used more than about 1/5th of it in the past. I started reading "full disk" mysterious issue on this Community Board and found many other with a similar issue which related to recovered mail messages. I had no way to see what apps or folders/files were hogging my Hard Drive so after reading some posts, downloaded a freeware program (disk inventory X). This showed me that my Mail Messages were now occupying approx. 395 GB of my Hard Drive. I tried for quite some time to follow the advice of other folks posts and find and delete the offending files. Many posts told me I should downloaad some other freeware apps that would allow me to see "Hidden Files" on my Mac and thus delete the Recovered Message file. I found another Community Post that told me to select the show hidden folders and files in my Finder, but I couldn't see such a choice. Then I found out if you change "All Files..." and instead select "Other" in the finder choices it will indeed show the hidden folders/files and allow you to delete them if you dare. I was able to find the Recovered Message folder in my Mailbox (USER.>Library>Mail>etc. etc. etc. and then delte the file. I now have over 400GB available on my Hard Drive.

startup disk is full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.