Skip navigation

MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?

1274274 Views 9,423 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 9:10 AM by Restj RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • Motorcyclerider12 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2012 9:39 PM (in response to mittense)

    I reported before that I got a Samsung after buying at my local Apple store and I thought I got lucky getting one. I was wrong. I notice today bad light bleed across the whole bottom of the Samsung. I might have missed it due to the Dock covering it up. It was way noticeable with a white screen. So I went back to my Apple store and exchanged it. I now have an LG display. The LG has no light bleed problems and I have done a IR test. 0 IR so far. Can't check build date used up my 2 checks.  

  • joekljk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2012 9:47 PM (in response to Motorcyclerider12)

    Here are some results from a uniformity test I performed on my Samsung rMBP. I wish I had my old LG to compare to, but luckily someone has already done the same thing on their LG on another forum -- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1405932&page=4. Looks like Samsung is very similar if not slightly better on white point.

     

    lum.jpg

    wp.jpg

  • Motorcyclerider12 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2012 10:35 PM (in response to Motorcyclerider12)

    Model:     - MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

    Codename:     - No codename assigned.

    Build Country:     - This unit was built in China

    Build Year:     - This unit was built in the second half of 2012.

    Build Week     - Week 11 (March) or week 38 (September)

    Production Nr.:     - This unit was number 1480 to be built that week.

  • EugenK90 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 6:21 AM (in response to mittense)

    Today received my 2nd Macbook Retina full equiped, build week 41 after send the old one back because of a SSD problem and IR

     

    aaaaaaaannnnddd its an LG

    **** yeah!! Got the feeling that im gonna have to replace it very soon again -.-

    Just did one test and no IR so far...

    have a look closer and repeat it the next days and let u know if I'm back in the game

  • A Pozitiv Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 7:02 AM (in response to EugenK90)

    EugenK90 wrote:

     

    Today received my 2nd Macbook Retina full equiped, build week 41 after send the old one back because of a SSD problem and IR

     

    aaaaaaaannnnddd its an LG

    **** yeah!! Got the feeling that im gonna have to replace it very soon again -.-

    Just did one test and no IR so far...

    have a look closer and repeat it the next days and let u know if I'm back in the game

    i got an LG from week 41 too. have it since 3 days and is perfect so far

  • srhwang Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 7:26 AM (in response to EugenK90)

    This is exactly what I'm talking about.

     

    Get rid of the pretense that all LGs should be sent back. Keep it for 13 days, see that it's perfect in every way, and if it still has very little IR that's barely noticeable after burning in for 15 minutes, it's probably worth keeping rather than sending in for a replacement that will again be an  LG or could be a faulty Samsung.

    EugenK90 wrote:

     

    Today received my 2nd Macbook Retina full equiped, build week 41 after send the old one back because of a SSD problem and IR

     

    aaaaaaaannnnddd its an LG

    **** yeah!! Got the feeling that im gonna have to replace it very soon again -.-

    Just did one test and no IR so far...

    have a look closer and repeat it the next days and let u know if I'm back in the game

  • oSBKo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 7:32 AM (in response to mittense)

    Ok, so I'm going to the Apple store on Saturday for another problem, but was wondering whever I should mention the IR on my LG screen.

     

    I'm way past the 14 days and apart from the IR the screen seems fine. It takes about 10 minutes for it to show with one of the default backgrounds (not the checkerboard or the grey/black backgrounds).

     

    It started off somewhat minor but has been getting progressivley worse since I got it in August, however like everyone else with an LG screen I worry whever I will end up getting a worse screen if they do decide to replace it.

     

    Would like to get some peoples opinions on this issue, thanks in advance.

  • srhwang Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 7:34 AM (in response to oSBKo)

    If it's getting progressively worse, I'd get it replaced. You're going to get a Samsung replacement, but you're not guaranteed a perfect one. Your call.

    oSBKo wrote:

     

    Ok, so I'm going to the Apple store on Saturday for another problem, but was wondering whever I should mention the IR on my LG screen.

     

    I'm way past the 14 days and apart from the IR the screen seems fine. It takes about 10 minutes for it to show with one of the default backgrounds (not the checkerboard or the grey/black backgrounds).

     

    It started off somewhat minor but has been getting progressivley worse since I got it in August, however like everyone else with an LG screen I worry whever I will end up getting a worse screen if they do decide to replace it.

     

    Would like to get some peoples opinions on this issue, thanks in advance.

  • @nt Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 7:49 AM (in response to mittense)

    I have a week 41 LG Screen.  The IR has been the same since I first started it up which is very minimal.  Only visible with a gray background and disappears within 30 seconds.  So far its a keeper.  I have one more week so I'll keep you guys posted.  On a positive note when I first started using my retina I questioned if it was worth 3k for the display.  I mean it looked really nice but 3k?  Yesterday I started up my old macbook (2008 13") and wow!  It's hard to go back to looking at that screen.  My eyes are really spoiled with this machine.  I do have an appointment with genius bar this Saturday.  When I called Apple care the rep said to take it in anyway just so they can check it out even if it's minimal.  So far customer service has been really good.  Leaning towards keeping as of now. 

  • @nt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to oSBKo)

    Yes I would totally have them check that out.  Especially if it's getting worse.  If I notice mine getting worse I will for sure bring it to them.  Either way go in there and let them know your concerns.  I'm sure they will take care of you.  Whenever I have a hard time I always use the approach..."put yourself in my shoes for a sec...I paid $3K for a machine and now this is happening.  What would you do?  If I wanted to get a sub par product I would have purchased one for under a thousand at Best Buy and used the extra money for something for my kids(even if you don't have any)".  Works all the time.   

  • arthurrau Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 7:54 AM (in response to mittense)

    My retina 2,3 GHz - 16 GB - 512 GB arrived today (build in china).

    Build week 41/42.

    The screen in super. The whites are white. No bleeding, no dead pixels and it Samsung (LSN154YL01001).

  • MarkRHolbrook Level 1 Level 1 (135 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 8:42 AM (in response to mittense)

    Mine is on order.  Preparing for shipment.  Is there a way to determine S/N, build week etc during this phase or is that info only available after you have it in hand?

  • joekljk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 9:05 AM (in response to srhwang)

    srhwang wrote:

     

    This is exactly what I'm talking about.

     

    Get rid of the pretense that all LGs should be sent back. Keep it for 13 days, see that it's perfect in every way, and if it still has very little IR that's barely noticeable after burning in for 15 minutes, it's probably worth keeping rather than sending in for a replacement that will again be an  LG or could be a faulty Samsung.

    EugenK90 wrote:

     

    Today received my 2nd Macbook Retina full equiped, build week 41 after send the old one back because of a SSD problem and IR

     

    aaaaaaaannnnddd its an LG

    **** yeah!! Got the feeling that im gonna have to replace it very soon again -.-

    Just did one test and no IR so far...

    have a look closer and repeat it the next days and let u know if I'm back in the game

     

    I went through 3 LGs and ALL had IR. 1st Samsung I had was a winner. Most report similar statistics.

     

    Oh and my Samsung display tested better than another's LG with the same spectrophotometer. Maybe I am lucky or maybe the Samsung actually is just as quality display as the LG. I can say that when I had both calibrated I could not tell the difference between the two, only way was through IR test.

     

    Hard to get rid of a pretense when every person on here has gone through multiple LGs with IR because as many have already stated it is a problem with the AH-IPS technology. And as I and many white papers on the subject can back up, IR GETS WORSE OVER TIME. So 14 days is *****, my IR on my first LG did not get to the point of "interuptting" my work until 2 months in!

     

    Prevent the inevitable, if you see any IR, return and hope for a beautiful Sammy!

     

    @srwhang - have you owned any LG rMBP for 2 months?

  • joekljk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 9:27 AM (in response to Canuck1970)

    Canuck1970 wrote:

     

    dT.Tb wrote:

     

    After replacing screen, I got Samsung. But I notice it is more yellow. Yellow tint!

    Ordered Spyder 4 Pro from amazon, I am not sure it will solved my problem. Any idea?

     

    My color profile improved noticeably after calibrating with the Spyder 4 Pro. I did notice that the default color profile was more yellow than the new calibrated color profile.

     

    Interesting, my factory color profile is actually cooler than my calibrated color profile with i1 display pro and coloreyes display pro software. BTW I highly suggest trying coloreyes and basICColor software programs with your Spdyer 4. They offer demos that allow you to create profiles. I know that coloreyes made a nice improvement over the software that came with my device. Not quite as noticeable as stock to calibrated kind of difference, but a difference for the better.

     

    After calibrating, I noticed a major improvement in contrast, colors were already pretty close but I do notice a slight difference in color as well. More natural looking and more detail in certain photos.

  • oSBKo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 9:41 AM (in response to mittense)

    Even though I'm past my 14 days does anyone reckon I'd be able to get a completly new machine? or would it be better just to get the screen replaced?

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (164)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.