Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange privilege called "custom"

While examining a file "Firefox version 12" I noticed a privilege I have not seen before called "custom" Does anyone know anything about this priviledge?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:51 AM

14 replies

Jun 17, 2012 1:13 PM in response to macfrombrampton

Usually the "custom access" is related to Access Control List (ACL) entries or other extended attributes (for example, the disk image shown in your post may have the quarantine attribute set). Unfortunately, Apple doesn't include a GUI utility to manage these, so if you are not familiar with using the Terminal application, third party utilities such as TinkerTool System (inexpensive, but not free) can be used.

Jun 17, 2012 3:17 PM in response to red_menace

Here's the output first from ls -leO@d, then ls -la

****:~ **** ls -leO@d /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel - 102 Oct 5 2009 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle

****:~ ****$ ls -la /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 5 2009 .

drwxr-xr-x 113 root wheel 3842 Jun 13 11:35 ..

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Aug 12 2011 Contents

GetInfo shows "You have custom access" for /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Jun 20, 2012 9:26 PM in response to macfrombrampton

As I mentioned earlier, it usually means there are some additional attributes. I'm not sure what is up with what is being shown for the /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle file, but since the file appears to be related to Time Machine, I would suspect there is something hidden. Items in the /System folder shouldn't be messed with anyway.

Jun 24, 2012 8:59 PM in response to macfrombrampton

Things like Access Control Lists and file quarantine are applied on top of the normal permissions, so it will help to know exactly what permissions you are having troubles with, and where they might have come from (migration, downloads, shared folder, etc). An ACL entry can include inheritance, so the permissions of the containing folder may also apply.

To show the permissions of the item(s) you are having problems with:

1) Open the Terminal application located in the /Applications/Utilities folder;

2) Copy/paste the following command line into the Terminal window (do not press return yet) - there is a trailing space that needs to be included:

/usr/bin/whoami; /bin/ls -leO@d

3) Drag the problem item(s) from a Finder window to the Terminal window (this will paste the path);

4) Press return - this will run the command line and put the results into the Terminal window. The commands will display the ownership and permissions of the item(s), including any ACL entries and extended attributes.

Mar 29, 2014 12:39 PM in response to red_menace

OK, when I do this, I get the following result.

Portable:Desktop Ed$ /usr/bin/whoami; /bin/ls -leO@d Force.pdf

Ed

-rwxr--r--@ 1 Ed staff - 25334 Sep 7 2013 Force.pdf

com.apple.quarantine 26

0: group:everyone deny delete

I can go through a series of steps with the info utility and remove the Custon privilege, which will allow me to delete or move the file. Other than that, I can't figure out how to change this. Every file in my directory tree has this custom priviledge for the everyone access.

Strange privilege called "custom"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.