Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

motion 5: movements stutter

Hi, I have recently bought motion 5 to design some movements of text and graphics. I'm a beginner so bear with me if it's a stupid question.

I have made some sequences in which text moves into the screen and after a while out - for film title and credits - quite easy. On screen, the text (or a little line drawing) jumps a little during movement. The same happens if I export the project as a little film. I have tried modifying the following options:

MacBook pro 15" (Version 8.2 early 2011)/8 GB RAM vs. MacBook Air 13" (Version 4.2 from 2011): no difference (the slow HD on the MBP 15" is not the reason)

Lion 10.7.4 on both computers

Motion project: 25, 30 and 50 fps, all in Broadcast HD - no difference

I tried behaviours/Basic motion/move and key frames - no difference

I tried various exporting formats - no difference

I'm running out on ideas and I could not google anything that would help me.

Please help. Thanks a lot

Peter

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 1:32 AM

13 replies

Jun 17, 2012 2:26 AM in response to PeterPz

there are diff. reasons which can cause stutter on playback ...

• don't overwhelm your computer - if it's fullHD/1080/60p/proRes is lots of data ...

judge the smoothness eg in a 720/30p/h264 playout ....

check your hardware's set-up concerning 'speed'.... eg, people overestimate speed of wireless connections or tiny 2.5" HDDs

* the socalled angle-speed of objects: if btw two frames of your project the difference is too big to allow your eyes to 'smear' the two frames into a smooth movement, your brain notice a fast slide-show , no movie

use a higher frame rate = which is in most cases not allowed to stay within standards such as 24/25/30 fps

or

apply motion-blurr to your project.

Jul 29, 2012 7:06 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thanks, Karsten, for the proposals - and sorry for the late answer. I have tried the things you suggested, with little success.

I changed the project to 720/25p/h264/blurr but still had some stutter.

I have upgraded to SSD and to 8 GB RAM - still the same problem although hardware should be fast enough now. Mountain Lion doesn't make a difference either. Another topic I observed: if I play the motion of the objects in motion, the frames are individually shown but the speed slows to a few frames per second. When exporting, the film plays in correct speed (but still with some jumps).

All in all, very mysterious to me. I'm happy for every suggestion that works.

Mar 25, 2013 7:07 AM in response to Juice TV

Hi Simon,

No, unfortunately, no solution. The little project I was working on was finished, so I never returned to the topic (nor have I used Motion till then).
It helped for me a little to convert the graphic that I had drawn (multiple objects in Motion) into one object using a graphics program. But this is ver yunsatisfactory and such a solution works only in this simple case.

Should you find a solution, I would still be interested.

Good luck.

Peter

Mar 26, 2013 4:17 AM in response to Juice TV

hi,

You may have stated thid already, sory if so. Are you seeing the stuttering in a rendered out file? When you view in Motion you need to render it to playback smoothly. Even then depending on the size fo your project and the amount of RAM you have, it may not playback at full frame rate. You can set it to play at draft resolution, although the edges wont be crisp, the animation should look smooth. Also turn of Motion blur, reflections, depth of field etc, when reviewing animation. If in doubt render it out and look at it in Quicktime.

hth

adam

Sep 15, 2013 2:34 AM in response to PeterPz

i have the same problem. i have a video from a sony cam (1440x1080 anamorphic, 60i, some 12mb/s bitrate) which comes as .mts but i have tried to change container (for fcpx) or recode to all sorts of options: lower bitrate, to convert to progressive, to convert from 1.333 anamorph to square pixel (1920x1080) but none of those changes makes a difference in motion 5 really. i want to use it as background in motion 5 because i want to key some titles/text to the picture elements, you know, match move. motion 5 is not capable of smooth playback, and that's without any aditional layer, also all the things like motion blur or frame blending are off. the same video dropped on fcpx timeline plays fine there in realtime rendering, but in motion 5 i have to prerender some 400 frames in ram preview, those than play fine, but realtime ain't gonna happen.

this is all on core i7 ivy bridge, 8gb ram, radeon 6000 series card, sata 6g ssd.

motion 5: movements stutter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.