Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac won't boot when usb plugged in

Hi all,

I have a probleme since i got my Imac 27 Mid 2010. It just dont boot when a usb Drive is plugged in. I had i Firewire hard drive in the past and i had no problems to boot up on it. Turn the mac on, holding option key and bang ! BUT usb just dont work, it stay on gray screen and after a while (10 mins) it boot on my regular internal drive.

I tried several usb drives and it's always the same. It look's that im not the only one that have this problem. I bought this fantastic Machine but i cant make a rescue clone and that driving me crazy !! I think my situation is not ''NORMAL''

Thank's all

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:15 AM

10 replies

Jun 17, 2012 10:02 AM in response to jocelynfromst-hubert

Intel iMac's can boot from either a FireWire or USB drive, but only if the drive is properly Partitioned and Formatted.

What are you using to make your Rescue Clone, Disk Utility, CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper or something else?

Some Utilities will setup and bless the drive for Bootable Cloning, but most of the time it is best to manually set the Partition Map Scheme to GUID Partition Table and the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journald) using Disk Utility.

see > OSX Tips: Using Disk Utility 1. Format, Erase, or Reformat a Drive

or > Formatting & Partitioning a Hard Drive in OS X

Jun 17, 2012 10:22 AM in response to jocelynfromst-hubert

I am using CCC to clone my drive. When my USB drive (laCie external drive W a WD 500GB Black) is unpluged, and i press option key, it ask me if i want to boot on osx drive or windows Bootcamp.

But when my external drive is plugged, Gray screen untill i unplug the external drive ???

The drive is well formated with a guid partition and extended (journalid)

AS i said, the mac boot ok on external drive firewire

Thanks

Jun 17, 2012 10:27 AM in response to jocelynfromst-hubert

SMC RESET

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

(this reset depends on the 5 second timing for it to work)

PRAM RESET

Zap the PRAM

• Shut down the computer.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

imac won't boot when usb plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.