Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I check my 27" LED Cinema Display firmware version?

After nearly a year of everything working properly, my 27" LED Cinema Display's SOUND suddenly stops working!! I searched for a fix on the internet but the only thing i can find is something about a firmware update that fixes a sound issue. This was released a long time ago though and i don't know what version mine is??? How do I check the version of my display? Also, how do I update it? Would it have been updated automatically via Software Update?

Cinema Tools

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 3:18 PM

If it is not in your software update you probably don't need it.

If you explicitly download it and try to install it it won't install if it doesn't think it has to.

Just because no sound comes out of the display doesn't mean its a firmware issue. More likely its a USB or software issue. Particularly if it worked for a year. Firmware doesn't "bit rot". Software, on the other hand can be corrupted by other software (e.g., plists), and USB's can be "moody" at times (audio is on the USB - is your display usb plugged in?). They also only have so much power to go around for all the devices on them which is why some people need powered usb hubs.

First I would check your sound system preferences to make sure the volume is "up", not muted, and you are outputting to the display audio.

Try doing a smc reset.

See if you can audio out of the internal speaker and/or stereo headphone jack.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2012 3:18 PM in response to iStephan

If it is not in your software update you probably don't need it.

If you explicitly download it and try to install it it won't install if it doesn't think it has to.

Just because no sound comes out of the display doesn't mean its a firmware issue. More likely its a USB or software issue. Particularly if it worked for a year. Firmware doesn't "bit rot". Software, on the other hand can be corrupted by other software (e.g., plists), and USB's can be "moody" at times (audio is on the USB - is your display usb plugged in?). They also only have so much power to go around for all the devices on them which is why some people need powered usb hubs.

First I would check your sound system preferences to make sure the volume is "up", not muted, and you are outputting to the display audio.

Try doing a smc reset.

See if you can audio out of the internal speaker and/or stereo headphone jack.

How do I check my 27" LED Cinema Display firmware version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.