Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help to make iPhoto mirror Aperture

I have not used iPhoto recently but after updating Aperture to 3.3 I now would like to use iPhoto again but would like it to mirror Aperture with the same albums, smart albums, etc. Now when I open iPhoto the library is there but no albums. Can iPhoto do this automatically and update automatically from aperture. I'd rather not set up the albums and maintain them manually.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:58 AM

As of Aperture 3.3 and iPhoto 9.3 the library can be shared between the two programs. So if both iPhoto and Aperture use the same library then the structure will be identical within the limits of the programs themselves.

That is in Aperture the images are in projects but in iPhoto they are in events, so if you look at the library with Aperture you'll see projects with iPhoto you'll see events.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2012 7:58 AM in response to laporte48

As of Aperture 3.3 and iPhoto 9.3 the library can be shared between the two programs. So if both iPhoto and Aperture use the same library then the structure will be identical within the limits of the programs themselves.

That is in Aperture the images are in projects but in iPhoto they are in events, so if you look at the library with Aperture you'll see projects with iPhoto you'll see events.

Jun 22, 2012 4:46 AM in response to laporte48

There are some limitations on using the unified Aperture / iPhoto Library:

Aperture books and webpages will not be visible in iPhoto; and images that you have hidden in iPhoto cannot be made visible in Aperture.

Have a look at this KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5043, i.e. the last section: Notes on working with unified libraries in iPhoto and Aperture

Regards

Léonie

Jun 22, 2012 5:49 AM in response to léonie

But it says right there:

If you use Faces, Places, have created albums, Smart Albums, or shared photos to Facebook or Flickr, these automatically work across both apps.

I am trying to get the albums I created in Aperture to show up in iPhoto.

In fact my library originally came from iPhoto and many of the albums were created there. But only the Smart Albums are visible, not manual albums.

help to make iPhoto mirror Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.