Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question on Adobe Photoshop 5.0 for Mac

I am using on my IMac (10.6.8 Snow Leopord) Aperture 3.

I want to know :

1. Can I download and use Abode Photoshop 5.0 Limited Edition Windows / Mac onto my IMac ?

2. Although this Abode program is ancient now, can it do certain things that Aperture 3 cannot (see below)

I am only interested in the ability to crop around things that are shown in a jpg or raw image ... such as

isolating a village priest from his surroundings .. or isolating a football player from the field or pitch ... and

then taking that isolated image and using it ... to either print separately or to enter into a Keynote talk.

Pages has this feature (it is called Alpha) but it does not work well at all. Preview, I think, has this feature too but

it also does not work well. So I am looking for a program that can. I don't want to buy an expensive new Abode

program if I can used Photoshop 5.0

Otherwise I am happy with Aperture 3. Just this one special cropping tool I would like.

Many thanks for helping me to unravel this. Don in California.

I MAC

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:37 AM

4 replies

Jun 17, 2012 9:56 AM in response to Mr. Seek Help

For a "selection" of a person or object as you describe, Aperture is not going to work very well. You can crop (square or rectangle) but no smart or manual selection around a person. Adobe Photoshop will work for what you want . Photoshop CS6 is the newest version. Adobe's version numbers are kind of confusing - I have Photoshop CS5 on my Mac Pro (Lion 10.7.4) that shows version 12.0.4 x64. I would recommend Adobe Elements 10 if your version of Photoshop doesn't work for you - it gives you about 90% of Photoshop at much less $.

Selecting an person or object can be easy or difficult depending on the background and the degree of perfection that you are looking for. There are some good on-line tutorials. Good luck.

Jun 17, 2012 3:01 PM in response to Mr. Seek Help

No, you do not want to use such an ancient version - even if it did work. Far superior cheap or free editing is available from modern non-Adobe image editing applications.

Every digital photog needs good conversance with a modern image editor. Aperture excels at images management, it is only marginally an image editor.

Instead I recommend GIMP (free) or Pixelmator. Full hugely-expensive Photoshop used to be the only real choice but only full-time pros need it today. Folks like me still use it mostly because it is what we know. Photoshop Elements is less competent and less expensive than full PS but IMO GIMP and Pixelmator are better value.

All image editors have a learning curve but are worth the effort.

HTH

-Allen

Question on Adobe Photoshop 5.0 for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.