Previous 1 2 Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2013 3:00 PM by sid0186
djkelly80 Level 1 Level 1

i have a simple problem and i am new to the mac world so bare with me. i have a simple game that i am trying to play but i can't it says running low on space. i know my computer can handle this simple game because i have a imac with a quad core processor and 8 gigs of ram and 1 gig video card is it something i am missing. can some one help me.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.applications
    Applications

Your startup volume is full. First, reboot. That will temporarily free up some space. According to Apple documentation, you need at least 9 GB free for normal operation. You also need enough space left over to allow for growth of your data.

Use a tool such as OmniDiskSweeper to explore your volume and find out what's taking up the space.

Proceed further only if the problem hasn't been solved.

ODS can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To really see everything, you have to run it as root.

First, back up all data if you haven't already done so. No matter what happens, you should be able to restore your system to the state it was in at the time of that backup.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

After installing ODS in the Applications folder, drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of this. Don't delete anything while running ODS as root. When you're done with it, quit it and also quit Terminal.

• rkaufmann87 Level 9 Level 9

You need to be much more specific and advise what game, how much Free Ram (look in Activity Monitor) is available and how much HD space is available. You to advise exactly what the error message says.

• djkelly80 Level 1 Level 1

you're runing low on disc space that is the error message and i also have alot of hard rive space i have 820 gigs free.

its a g5  game called virtual city playground

• rkaufmann87 Level 9 Level 9

Is it designed to work on the version of OS X installed on your computer?

i am also running programs like clean my mac, free memory, and disc utility.

yes because i have been playing this game and all of a suden it just stop working.

expertise.applications
    Applications

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

df -hl

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on

/dev/disk0s2  931Gi  168Gi  762Gi    19%    /

/dev/disk1s2  465Gi  382Gi   84Gi    83%    /Volumes/Time Machine Backups

/dev/disk2     64Mi  8.3Mi   56Mi    14%    /Volumes/OmniDiskSweeper

expertise.applications
    Applications

You do have adequate disk space. Please post a screenshot of the warning message.

what is the command for screen shot

Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 2.18.38 PM.png

expertise.applications
    Applications

That message is coming from the game, not from the Mac OS, and it's obviously wrong, so you'd have to ask the developer to fix it.

Previous 1 2 Next