Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not enough memory or disk space so i can play games

i have a simple problem and i am new to the mac world so bare with me. i have a simple game that i am trying to play but i can't it says running low on space. i know my computer can handle this simple game because i have a imac with a quad core processor and 8 gigs of ram and 1 gig video card is it something i am missing. can some one help me.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 11:19 AM

21 replies

Jun 17, 2012 11:23 AM in response to djkelly80

Your startup volume is full. First, reboot. That will temporarily free up some space. According to Apple documentation, you need at least 9 GB free for normal operation. You also need enough space left over to allow for growth of your data.

Use a tool such as OmniDiskSweeper to explore your volume and find out what's taking up the space.

Proceed further only if the problem hasn't been solved.

ODS can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To really see everything, you have to run it as root.

First, back up all data if you haven't already done so. No matter what happens, you should be able to restore your system to the state it was in at the time of that backup.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

After installing ODS in the Applications folder, drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of this. Don't delete anything while running ODS as root. When you're done with it, quit it and also quit Terminal.

Jun 17, 2012 11:53 AM in response to djkelly80

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

df -hl

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

not enough memory or disk space so i can play games

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.