Skip navigation

MacBook Air - 2011 vs. 2012 model

6424 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 4:03 PM by D. Shamburger RSS
D. Shamburger Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 17, 2012 12:56 PM

I'm planning on buying a new 13 inch MacBook Air pretty soon. I was considering the refurbished July 2011 model available for $929. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC965LL/A A brand new latest generation is $1199, $270 more. Is it worth that to get the latest model? I'm not comparing the refurbished to new. Refurbished (by Apple, sold from Apple) is just as good as new to me.

So, is 2012 model worth the extra $270 over the 2011 model?

The only differences I know are these:

1.7GHz Intel Core i5 "Sandy Bridge" vs. 1.8GHz Intel Core i5 "Ivy Bridge"

Intel HD Graphics 3000 vs. Intel HD Graphics 4000

VGA quality FaceTime camera vs. 720p FaceTime camera

USB 2 ports vs. USB 3 ports

Magsafe vs. Magsafe 2

Is there processor and graphics bump going to even really be a noticable difference? The HD camera isn't that big a deal to me... USB 3? I don't know, I don't think I have any USB 3 peripherals right now, but I might get say an external hard drive or something in the future that would make these ports nice. Is there any other difference in the new Magsafe than the size?

Are there any other upgrades I'm missing?

Thanks!

• Converted2iMac Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2012 1:09 PM (in response to D. Shamburger)

The thing that was stopping me getting an Air was the inability to upgrade to 8GB.

The 2012 models permit that in an online order. For me this now makes the MBA a contender. I would not buy any system with less than 8GB RAM, but that is because of the heavy use I make of a variety of meaty applications all at the same time. The additional memory also gives me better confidence for the future using a computer that can't be upgraded.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.