Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

emptying the trash hangs

I deleted a lot of files and then did an "empty the trash". It hangs forever with 152 items to delete. I forced the system to reboot and ran through a safe startup, but it again hangs forever whenever I try to empty the trash.

MacBook (13-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:52 PM

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html

4 replies

Jun 17, 2012 1:09 PM in response to bryante

The excellent link to www.thexlab.com explained that the trash was in the hidden directory .Trash in the user's home directory.

I went into a terminal window, created a new trash directory named .Trash2 and made sure the permissions and ownership matched .Trash. Then I renamed the directories with the "mv" command so that .Trash became trash-old and .Trash2 became .Trash. That gave me a nice, empty trash wastbasket that worked normally.

Later I deleted the files in the trash-old directory using commands in a terminal windows. It turned out that deleting one of the directories in trash-old hung the terminal window, but I used a second window and saw that the killer directory was gone.

I guess there was something wrong with that directory.

Thanks.

bd

emptying the trash hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.