5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2012 9:38 AM by greg1424
greg1424 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I shoot in RAW and the file sizes are large and I can manipulate the e-mails BUT

I noitced that when I drag and dropped RAW photos on to a CD to burn the jPeg qulaity dropped.

For instance a 14.5mb drops to 537kb..

I would guess I need to change something and would like help with the issue.

Thnak you,

Greg

Mac OS X (10.7.1)
  • 1. Re: Drag and drop onto a cd loses quality
    Thomas Emmerich Level 4 Level 4 (3,485 points)

Drag and drop out of Aperture uses the Preview files. The size of the preview files is determined by the Aperture Preferences setting. If you haven't changed it, I believe the default setting is half size. If you want larger previews for drag and drop, change the setting to a larger size.

Once you've changed the Preview setting, you'll need to force the previews to be regenerated. Photos->Generate Previews (while holding the option key down).

A disadvantage of increasing the Preview size is your library will get larger. To prevent that, instead just export your images in the size you need. Choose File->Export->Versions... to export a file of any size you need and use those to burn to the CD.

• 2. Re: Drag and drop onto a cd loses quality
    Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,945 points)

Short answer -- apologies in advance, I don't have much bandwith or time -- drag-&-drop is for chumps.  Use an Export Preset.

• 3. Re: Drag and drop onto a cd loses quality

I take no offense but one of the original benefits of a MAC, and still is, is the drag and drop ability.

It is a tremendous short cut.

As to the export file, I did forget about that as some times I simple transfer directly to PSE or iPhoto.

Thanks for the reminder

Greg

• 4. Re: Drag and drop onto a cd loses quality
    Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,945 points)

Hi Greg -- I really wish I could retract my post.  It doesn't read at all the way I thought it did.  Please accept my apology.  What I was trying to say is that as a means of exporting, drag-and-drop is effectively crippled in Aperture.

Aperture's complexity makes dragging-and-dropping Images to create and export files unworkable without additional input.  The designers made, imho, a good decision in making drag-and-drop of Images from Aperture to another program equal to exporting the Previews of the dragged Images.

Again, my apologies -- and my thanks for your soft handling of my rudeness.

Cheers,

--Kirby.

• 5. Re: Drag and drop onto a cd loses quality

Kirby :

I grew up in NYC, Rudeness is a word we do not use or worry about.

We prefer direct to the point answers as you made.

I live in Texas now and get yelled at all the time for being direct and to the point.

Bottom line, you solved my problem, that is all that counts !

Thanks, again,

Greg