Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag and drop onto a cd loses quality

I shoot in RAW and the file sizes are large and I can manipulate the e-mails BUT

I noitced that when I drag and dropped RAW photos on to a CD to burn the jPeg qulaity dropped.

For instance a 14.5mb drops to 537kb..

I would guess I need to change something and would like help with the issue.

Thnak you,

Greg

Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:14 PM

5 replies

Jun 17, 2012 5:59 PM in response to greg1424

Drag and drop out of Aperture uses the Preview files. The size of the preview files is determined by the Aperture Preferences setting. If you haven't changed it, I believe the default setting is half size. If you want larger previews for drag and drop, change the setting to a larger size.

Once you've changed the Preview setting, you'll need to force the previews to be regenerated. Photos->Generate Previews (while holding the option key down).

A disadvantage of increasing the Preview size is your library will get larger. To prevent that, instead just export your images in the size you need. Choose File->Export->Versions... to export a file of any size you need and use those to burn to the CD.

Jun 18, 2012 3:08 AM in response to greg1424

Hi Greg -- I really wish I could retract my post. It doesn't read at all the way I thought it did. Please accept my apology. What I was trying to say is that as a means of exporting, drag-and-drop is effectively crippled in Aperture.

Aperture's complexity makes dragging-and-dropping Images to create and export files unworkable without additional input. The designers made, imho, a good decision in making drag-and-drop of Images from Aperture to another program equal to exporting the Previews of the dragged Images.

Again, my apologies -- and my thanks for your soft handling of my rudeness.

Cheers,

--Kirby.

Drag and drop onto a cd loses quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.