Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iPhone 4S from iTunes

Goodday,

My story is like this: i have used iTunes to restore my iPhone to factory settings as a new iPhone, no backup involved. So, i have plugged in my iPhone to the laptop, i have used the RESTORE button in iTunes and the process started smooth. At the end, the iTunes told me that my iPhone will restart, and it did. After the restart, of course, the configuration of my iPhone was needed. iTunes told me not to unplug my iPhone and to wait until the restart its over. And i did. When iTunes was reconnecting my device, it told me that my SIM has a PIN CODE and i need to enter it so i can proceed with configuration. So i did this step also, i have used my PIN on the device, on my iPHONE the configuration STARTED but iTunes told me that it cannot reconnect with my iPhone and that i should retry later. So i didnt used iTunes to configure, instead i did the configuration directly from the phone. My questions are:

1. Why didnt iTunes reconnect with my iPhone after i entered PIN?

2. Does it matter if it didnt reconnect, so this way i was forced to do the configuration directly from my iPhone and not in iTunes like it supposed to be done after a restore made in iTunes?

3. What does EXACTLY restore from iTunes do !? And what does this mean, from the HELP iTunes files (red lines). What does it mean by "doesn't erase it?"

Update and restore software on iPod, iPhone, or iPad

Using iTunes, you can update software on your iPod, or updateiOS softwareon iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad.

If you are having problems with your device, you can also use iTunes to reinstall the software and restore your device’s default settings.

Important: Restoring iOS software on iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad deletes your information, but doesn’t erase it. Deleted information can’t be accessed through the device’s controls, but it remains on your device. To find out more about erasing all content and settings (if, for example, you plan to give your iPhone away), seethis article at the Apple Support website.

Show

To update your software:

Hide

To restore the software on your iPod , iPhone, or iPad:

1. Connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to your computer.
  2. When your device appears in the iTunes window (below Devices), select it.
  3. Click the Summary button, click Restore, and follow the onscreen instructions.If you’re restoring software on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad, iTunesbacks up your deviceat the start of the process. You can restore your settings from the backup at the end of the restore.

4. Off-topic question: Why now, when my iPhone is factory settings with nothing on it, after pluggin to iTunes, my used memory went from 26x MB to 392 MB used?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 3:26 PM

15 replies

Jun 17, 2012 3:46 PM in response to AlexandruA

All yoru questions are found on Google. It's not too hard to do personal research.

When you restore your iPhone, you access the backup file on your Mac to restore your customized settings and related data to the iPhone. Normally, you would do this if you are having problems for which other techniques (such as the reset options in the Settings > General > Reset on the iPhone) are unable to fix.

You can restore in two different ways:

1. A backup-only restore copies data from your iPhone’s backup file to the iPhone. It does nothing else.
  2. A full restore similarly restores data from your iPhone’s backup, but it also replaces (and updates, if needed) the iPhone’s operating system. A full restore, unlike a backup-only restore, erases your iPhone first.

For most troubleshooting, you’ll want to do a full restore. A full restore is also useful for transferring all your data from a currentÑperhaps defective, but still functionalÑiPhone to a replacement iPhone. After a full restore, you'll need to do a sync to put back all the media content on your iPhone.

When would you use a backup-only restore? If, for example, some data has been lost, corrupted, or deleted in error, a backup-only restore would let you recover that data (unless the data was added since the most-recent backup) without the hassle of having to erase the iPhone.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=335949

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2799038?start=0&tstart=0

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090125193103AA1Q7sT

http://www.ask.com/answers/116410841/what-does-an-ipod-iphone-restore-do

Your Memory will increase after a restore because there is OS data being updated and files are getting written.

Jun 17, 2012 4:12 PM in response to ED3K

That wouldnt be a problem. I know how to rotate it, but i wanted to know if its normal. In fact, the only position in wich the photo is taken corectly is when i take it with the phone on its side with the volume buttons down. And same for the videos. For photo is ok, but for videos is a bit annoying to rotate it on pc so you can watch it corectly.

Oct 21, 2013 5:35 AM in response to AlexandruA

You can restore iTunes backups to your iPhone at any time. Follow these steps to choose a backup and sync the data to your iPhone.

*Connect iphone to computer,and recover iphone Contacts,Messages,Photos,video and More directly from iOS iphone Device*,or recover from iTunes Backup on Mac or Win computer

1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.

2. Open iTunes.

3. If you have a new or erased iPhone, iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.

4. Otherwise, Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.

5. Select Restore From Backup...

6. Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.

<Link Edited By Host>

Nov 14, 2013 1:13 AM in response to yanmaydo

yanmaydo wrote:

You can restore iPhone 4S from iTunes at any time. Follow these steps to choose a backup and sync the data to your iPhone.

*Connect iphone to computer,and recover iphone Contacts,Messages,Photos,video and More directly from iOS iphone Device*,or recover from iTunes Backup on Mac or Win computer

1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.

2. Open iTunes.

3. If you have a new or erased iPhone, iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.

4. Otherwise, Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.

5. Select Restore From Backup...

6. Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.

You can restore using iTunes 11.0. At the end, it will complain it needs 11.1, but by that point your phone is restored and you can restore your backup from iCloud.、

Restore iPhone 4S from iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.