Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant preview mp3's directly from the finder

Hey Guys,

Since a few months, I just can see mp3 files as an icon with the itunes symbol in it.

Before, there was previews from the album cover and everytime you click on it,

the music was played in preview mode directly from the finder.

Just a few minutes ago, I updated the version of my itunes to the currently newest one.

That didnt give me a solution indeed.

Do anybody know an approach to solve this problem?

Regards from Berlin

Sam

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 4:03 PM

21 replies

Jun 18, 2012 5:05 AM in response to amario1985

Simple... You just need to use the icon view and make the icon size large enough. It works on the Desktop or in a Finder window.

If it's a Finder window, select the icon view (the one that shows just the icons). If it's the Desktop, it is already in icon view. Right (or Control) click on the window (or on the Desktop) and select Show View Options. Increase the Icon size using the slider bar, so that it is 64x64 or larger. The icon "image" should show the content detail (such as album art), and have the play/pause control, when you mouse over it.

Jun 17, 2012 7:44 PM in response to amario1985

The "problem" is that you can't preview the song in Finder, correct? So it's not about iTunes...?

In the Finder window, select the view that has vertical columns. In the toolbar, the button for this view looks like a rectangle with vertical lines. When you navigate to the folder with song files using this view, and select a song file, the far right column of the Finder window should show the song file details (with album artwork if available) and the play/pause button.

Jun 17, 2012 8:56 PM in response to amario1985

amario1985 wrote:

Hey Guys,

Since a few months, I just can see mp3 files as an icon with the itunes symbol in it.

Before, there was previews from the album cover and everytime you click on it,

the music was played in preview mode directly from the finder.

Just select a song on the Finder and press the Spacebar (to activate Quicklook).

This will show a preview of everything,not just music.

Jun 18, 2012 1:19 AM in response to amario1985

@Kenichi Watanabe

The "problem" is that you can't preview the song in Finder, correct? So it's not about iTunes...?

Yeah, youre right. sorry for the wrong category.

thank you for your fast replies. but I dont ask for any alternates. I thought, maybe its an issue with the settings.

Im asking myself why apple dont fix the error that may cause this problem...

Jun 18, 2012 3:03 AM in response to amario1985

I knwo this kind of preview well. Sorry, I have to be more specific: There are mp3 files on my >desktop<

I just want to see the covers, doesnt matter if I klick on them, or not. and in the case of klick, it should play the file immediatly.
I can also turn over the sides of a pdf file, without to open it.

Mov files can be still played like the mp3's did before. Watch that video please> https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3d0icm0cfi1ptr/Screeny%20Video%2018.06.2012%2011.50.1 0.mov

I dont want to use the finder for such easy "klick-and-listen"

Jun 18, 2012 5:39 AM in response to amario1985

Oh, I didn't notice that part (where the MP3 did not work). BUT, it does work for me (with .mp3 files), on my Mac, with the latest version of Mac OS X Lion. The icon shows the album art (at any icon size), as long as there is album art for that song. And, if the icon size is 64x64 or larger, I get the pause/play button in the middle of the icon when I mouse over it.

When you do a Get Info on the MP3 file, in the Info window, does it say Open with iTunes?

Jun 18, 2012 6:10 AM in response to amario1985

Yes, sorry it took so LONG... 😉

Do you have any AAC song files? Do you have the same problem with that file type (.m4a)?

Maybe you should do a Get Info on any MP3 file and do a Change All for the Open with selection to something like Preview. Then do the same thing again, and change the Open with selection back to iTunes. Maybe that will "reset" something and make it work like it should.

Jun 18, 2012 12:15 PM in response to amario1985

It's whatever Software Update gives me as the latest versions. So it's what you listed. Since iTunes uses QuickTime to play media, that's 10.1 (at least for QuickTime Player).

You should try creating a new user account in System Preferences Users & Groups pane. Log out and log in to the new account. See if this problem recurs there, or not.

Jun 18, 2012 4:12 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

OMG! That works! Thank You man! you doin it!!

What do I have to do now? Its a lot of work to translate all my files apps and setting to the new account..

thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you!thank you! 🙂

cant preview mp3's directly from the finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.