Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon "scan to" button no longer working

Hi there,

I have had a Canon MX700 for a few years now, and have generally been very happy with it - when it works.

One bugbear of mine is that the "Scan to" button on the scanner stops working from time to time. It will work magically for AGES, then....

Pressing the button shows "Set the PC to start scanning" on the printer.

This usually results in me spending hours removing, and re-installing Canon drivers/software, restarting my Mac(s), the Printer, my Wireless, etc, until I eventually get this going again. (Pressing the "Scan to" button results in a list of my Macs to scan to).

When the printer is doing this, scanning from the Mac(s) works no problems - using Canon's Scan software, or Image Capture. Printing works fine also. So, the Printer can clearly communicate to the Mac(s). It just doesn't allow you to initiate the scan from the Printer.

Can anybody suggest why this just stops working out of the blue? I am at a loss, and my wife is ready to kill me!

Thanks,

Nathan

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:10 PM

1 reply

Jun 18, 2012 12:18 AM in response to nathangoss

For the Scan button to work correctly to a Mac, the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector service needs to be running. This is the icon in the menubar that looks like this...

User uploaded file

If you don't see it you can open it via Applications > Canon Utilities > Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector. With this application open you will see (or should see) the networked MX700 (the one with the network address after its name) listed and selected. And you will also see the "Scan from Operational Panel" button. Click this to ensure the MX700 is also selected.

If at any stage you find that the Scan To button on the MX does not list the Mac then check that the icon shown above is in the menubar and selecting it lets you see the MX700. If it is not in the menubar or if you cannot see the MX700 in its properties if you select it, then this explains why the Scan To button is not working. As to what stops this from working, the most likely is that the Bonjour service on your Mac has stopped working and all those actions you are performing re-enables it, but I would also say it is overkill. For the next time it stops working, open Activity Monitor and check that you have mDNSResponder listed. Also, from the Mac, see if you can scan using MP Navigator. If this works then try the Scan To on the MX again.

Canon "scan to" button no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.