Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the server returned the error the attempt to send data to the server (null) failed

I've just migrated from from my old iMac running Snow Leopard to a new iMac running Lion (10.7.2). The migration seemed to go well with all applications and folders moving over correctly.

However, the Mail program displays the exclamation mark next to the Inbox and returns the following error message:

"There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “**********” or try again.

The server returned the error: The attempt to send data to the server “(null)” failed."

I am able to send email but not receive POP email.

I have confirmed the login details by using the browser based webmail service. All email settings have transferred correctly from the old iMac.

This seems to be an issue that many Mail users are encountering in Lion.

Has any solution to this issue been found?

Mail-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 11:18 PM

29 replies

Jun 29, 2012 2:16 PM in response to mystnic

I'm having this problem with 2 out of 6 PoP mail accounts in my Mac Mail client. (IMAP accounts work fine.) Sending continues to work, so the smtp servers are being successfully contacted. Receiving Pop mail is where the problem is, even though the accounts are set up correctly. I have had tech support from one of the mail service providers work with me to try to find the problem, without success. I have deleted and recreated one account, to get it working for a few minutes only. I used the mail account setup tool. But the rebuilt account worked ONE TIME only and will not work again. I have used the mail connection doctor to watch the bahaviour while tweaking the mail account settings for the other failing account. I get it working momentarily, and then it fails again, and then sometimes works. The message from both accounts is:

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “xxxxxxxx” or try again.

The server returned the error: The attempt to send data to the server “(null)” failed.

Apple, you have a problem!

Aug 28, 2012 8:25 PM in response to mystnic

I just purchased an MacBook Air with Lion OS X v10.7.4 and have experienced the same problem as described by DavidPaterson.ca. Specifically, "Sending continues to work, so the smtp servers are being successfully contacted. Receiving Pop mail is where the problem is, even though the accounts are set up correctly." Has anyone seen a resolution to this problem?

Aug 31, 2012 9:00 PM in response to __fb

Thanks, but port number was already 995. I migrated to the Air from a MacBook running Snow Leopard using the Time Capsule backup. Email client with is same account worked fine on MacBook running Snow Leopard, has never worked on Air running Lion. I triple checked the email preference settings to no avail. It's a mystery to me.

Sep 1, 2012 8:08 AM in response to __fb

Some additional info regarding the problem I describe above.

Prior to my post above, I wasted over 1/2 hour of the tech support person from my ISP trying to resolve the problem. He remote logged into my machine and tried various port, ssl, & authentication alternatives (as I had already tried) without success. Facts are:

1) it is only receive mail. Sending mail is not affected (though I don't actually send via that account any more).

2) authentication is password. (same pwd as for send mail)

3) ports 995 and 587 make no difference, nor does ssl on or off for any of the 3 port number alternatives

4) deleting the account and setting it up again results in a single successful reveive mail cycle, and then the problem recurs

I use 2 different ISPs, with 3 different accounts (URLs) all running POP mail. The problem occurs only with one ISP, the one with the single (infrequently used) account. That account is only used to receive and forward logs from my wireless router and network storage devices, so it is important to me, but is a receive-only account.

My solution has been to ask Google to solve my Apple problem. I have a GMail account set up in Mac Mail to collect the mail from the ISP POP account, and to forward that mail to Mac Mail. I have disabled the offending POP account in Mac Mail and I therefore get my logs mail via the GMail account inbox. I suppose I could just set my devices to forward logs to GMail, but I have other reasons to continue hoping for a solution.

As rwbrown indicates, the problem occurs with Lion and apparently not in Snow Leopard (and Leopard BTW). In my case, it arose shortly after the upgrade to Lion. Leads me to conclude some probability of insanity in Lion since:

-ISP's tech support couldn't solve it

-send mail is unaffected

-all port # & ssl alternatives have no affect

-account works on initial setup, then fails

-GMail works to receive from the ISP POP account without difficulty

Sep 1, 2012 8:23 PM in response to DavidPaterson.ca

DavidPaterson.ca has it exactly right. Sending works fine, receiving does not work. This is a problem in Lion, but not with prior versions of MacOS. It is hard for me to believe it is a problem with the ISP, as I have a couple of other accounts with the same ISP that work just fine on pre-Lion versions of MacOS. It appears to be the Lion O'S and email client, or in other words an Apple bug.

Nov 19, 2012 12:27 PM in response to mystnic

Just solved my problem. LIke David Paterson I was having problem receiving with one account and not others. The only difference in my account settings (other than the obvious Account Information) was in the Preferences > Advanced> "Use SSL" checkbox. the troublesome account was checked. When I unchecked the box, like other accounts, mail poured in.

Dec 7, 2012 4:17 PM in response to mystnic

Just bought a Mac Mini with ML installed and am having the same problem. I own my own domain and use Hostgator for hosting. Never had any problems on past Windows machines (this is my first Mac, running scared from Win8) or with Sparrow or Thunderbird which both work fine. Have tried the suggestions here to no avail. Too bad I will have to use one of the alternatives as I really like the Mac Mail interface.

the server returned the error the attempt to send data to the server (null) failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.