Skip navigation

Best Setup for FCP X

3317 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 6:02 PM by Michael Holmes1 RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
sszeto Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 17, 2012 11:49 PM

So...I have a Mac Pro, Dual 2.8 Quad Core with 24 GB of RAM.  I beefed up the video card and the RAM just for FCP X....but I swear, it runs painfully slow.  I'm about to boot this thing and go for portability.  Will the high end Macbook Pro deliver what I think FCP X should be like?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.2), Dual 2.8 Quad Core, 24GB, ATI 5770
  • clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7 (26,745 points)
    Jun 17, 2012 11:57 PM (in response to sszeto)

It's very likely - a lot of folks are running FCP on 17" MBPs (which weren't updated). I would think that you could go with the high-end MacBook Pro 15" (non-Retina) and connect an external monitor and be in business. You likely have a monitor already that will work - if not look at the Thunderbolt Display.

Good luck,

Clinton

• Bimmer 7 Series Level 6 Level 6 (10,265 points)
    Jun 18, 2012 12:03 AM (in response to sszeto)

I'd go with Clinton on this one.

Get a highend MB Pro and max out the RAM and go with SSD to benefit from the performance.

Or, not trying to confuse you or anything like that.  Ever thought about going SSD on your Mac Pro?

In theory, desktops are considerably faster than notebooks since the CPU runs at full speed all the time.

Maybe going SSD will give you a boost of speed that you need.

Another suggestion: Getting a refurbished 17 Inch MB Pro loaded to the MAX.

@ Clinton, did you try find my Mac?

Cheers..

Jun 18, 2012 12:27 AM (in response to sszeto)

I feel your pain sszeto.  I still have my old MAC Clone.  Remember the UMAX 900?  I have that in my sailboat and I'm still using it.  Kinda useless but it does the job.

I still feel that going SSD is the way to go.  Clinton might back me up on this one.

I believe, and still do that desktop are faster than laptops.  I have a 4 year old i7 920 Windows desktop that is faster in Photoshop than my late 2011 MB Pro.  I just went portable because I travel too much and I hate lugging around my desktop.

My suggestion: try out the SSD on your Mac PRO and if you feel that it's not helping, when you get your new MB Pro, you can install that SSD in your MB Pro and really see the difference in speed.

Makes sense?

Jun 18, 2012 12:32 AM (in response to Bimmer 7 Series)

I remember the UMAX line - never bought one, though!

I agree with Bimmer - FCP is both processor and disk intensive. In my opinion you shoud get the fastest CPU and SSD you can afford. And if you want to see if the SSD is the solution in your Mac Pro, you cn always migrate it to a new MBP with a faster processor.

Make's sense to me...

Clinton

Jun 18, 2012 12:41 AM (in response to sszeto)

I'll answer for me and Clinton.

Crucial M4 512GB.

Fast, Reliable and a good brand that we both use.

But the Samsung 830 is curently the speed champ.

Jun 18, 2012 12:48 AM (in response to Bimmer 7 Series)

Do you know of anyone using the Samsung in a Mac? The only thing I've used is the Crucial, of course, and read of thers using OWC...

Yikes! The 512GB Samsung is $700 on Amazon - but there are some Mac reviews there.

Clinton

Jun 18, 2012 12:51 AM (in response to clintonfrombirmingham)

Actually, the Retina Version uses the Samsung 830 series.

Here's a link about the Samsung 830 series SSD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4863/the-samsung-ssd-830-review

I'm still happy with my Crucial M4 256GB.

Jun 18, 2012 1:39 AM (in response to sszeto)

I suggest to you use it for both to take advantage of the SSD's feature and to maximize the performace of FCP X.

Then again, make it a project if you have time to try it different ways until you decide which way you think is best to suit your needs.

Jun 18, 2012 1:44 AM (in response to sszeto)

You're welcome.

If you're in the market for a UMAX for nostalgic purposes, feel free to shoot me an email.

Best of luck with your MAC Pro.  I'm sure you'll enjoy your new SSD when you get it.

Keep us posted.

1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.