Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Setup for FCP X

So...I have a Mac Pro, Dual 2.8 Quad Core with 24 GB of RAM. I beefed up the video card and the RAM just for FCP X....but I swear, it runs painfully slow. I'm about to boot this thing and go for portability. Will the high end Macbook Pro deliver what I think FCP X should be like?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.2), Dual 2.8 Quad Core, 24GB, ATI 5770

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 11:49 PM

40 replies

Jun 18, 2012 12:03 AM in response to sszeto

I'd go with Clinton on this one.

Get a highend MB Pro and max out the RAM and go with SSD to benefit from the performance.

Or, not trying to confuse you or anything like that. Ever thought about going SSD on your Mac Pro?

In theory, desktops are considerably faster than notebooks since the CPU runs at full speed all the time.

Maybe going SSD will give you a boost of speed that you need.

Another suggestion: Getting a refurbished 17 Inch MB Pro loaded to the MAX.

@ Clinton, did you try find my Mac?

Cheers..

Jun 18, 2012 12:18 AM in response to sszeto

Oh man....I don't think you guys know how much sleep I lose over getting rid of my Mac Pro. LOL....I nearly had a heart attack when my G5 went toes up!! But like you said, Bimmer, I have personally thought that desktops are supposed to be faster than notebooks. That's why I bought it and that's why I expected more performance out of it.

I have thought about SSD but do you really think that SSD would solve FCP X issues in regards to lag? Right now, I'm working on a dance performance show and the end result is an hour and 40 minute project. Every....single....time.....I click on something, the beachball of death appears and I'm holding my breath as if I was editing on a PC platform again. Grrrr....

That's why I'm guessing that it's probably a processor issue that would benefit more than the SSD, even though the SSD would probably be the most economical.

Jun 18, 2012 12:27 AM in response to sszeto

I feel your pain sszeto. I still have my old MAC Clone. Remember the UMAX 900? I have that in my sailboat and I'm still using it. Kinda useless but it does the job.

I still feel that going SSD is the way to go. Clinton might back me up on this one.

I believe, and still do that desktop are faster than laptops. I have a 4 year old i7 920 Windows desktop that is faster in Photoshop than my late 2011 MB Pro. I just went portable because I travel too much and I hate lugging around my desktop.

My suggestion: try out the SSD on your Mac PRO and if you feel that it's not helping, when you get your new MB Pro, you can install that SSD in your MB Pro and really see the difference in speed.

Makes sense?

Jun 18, 2012 12:32 AM in response to Bimmer 7 Series

I remember the UMAX line - never bought one, though!

I agree with Bimmer - FCP is both processor and disk intensive. In my opinion you shoud get the fastest CPU and SSD you can afford. And if you want to see if the SSD is the solution in your Mac Pro, you cn always migrate it to a new MBP with a faster processor.

Make's sense to me...

Clinton

Jun 18, 2012 1:28 AM in response to sszeto

Wow...I guess I gotta wait two more weeks for the paycheck to come rolling in before I take a stab at these SSDs. Now, I have never dealt with SSDs as an internal upgrade but for purposes of using it exclusively for FCP X, is it recommended that I use this as the scratch disc and keep FCP X on the primary HDD? Or use this for both FCP X and the scratch?

Jun 18, 2012 1:58 AM in response to sszeto

One more thing while its still rattling in my head......is it possible to have a dual boot in bay one with two HDDs? Namely my current hard drive and the new SSD? I ask only because my boot drive is massive, and there is no way that even a 512GB SSD would accomodate it (outside of mass deleting).

Best Setup for FCP X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.