Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest update does not impress

I feel recently, Apple software products have decreased significantly in terms of refinement and quality and I seriously hope, this trend does not continue, like in its latest victim, Aperture, or we may be forced to look elsewhere again.

- It may be a style decision only, but moving deliberately from colored icons to black and white (as in Lion) is a step back in my opinion. Color helps tell icons apart. Color may not be required for text, but there is a good reason, why we switched from monochrome displays in the 80s to full color screens today.

- Upon losing connection to the internet, with Facebook or Flickr having shared albums in Aperture, an error message pops up that tell you, there was a problem with the sync. That's ok, but the message pops up about 50 times and you have to click every single one away. It's Windows 95 all over again. We used to laugh at multiple identical error messages, now we get them in a professional application from Apple? ***?

- Sharing to Flickr and Facebook has gotten that much more complicated as opposed to 3.2.x, as the individual albums are no longer displayed or displayable in the left library column. So in order to add pics to an existing shared album, I have to go over the share button and select my album from a pull down menu. Again, this is not drag & drop, this is Windows 95 and I don't like it one bit and I'm sure, many others don't either.

I found these issues after spending maybe 30 minutes with the new 3.3 version, now tell me QA did a good job?

Please, we want the old Apple software quality back, don't let success get in your way!

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 9:14 AM

11 replies

Jun 19, 2012 6:34 PM in response to Sliney

Add to that that you can no longer see at a glimpse how far the sync of the online albums has advanced. You have to go to the rudimentary activity window now to be able to tell whether you can put the computer to sleep/leave Starbucks/turn off WiFi etc. now. Apart from that, online albums still randomly rearrange themselves to a manual order instead of order by date, unless you sync it back and forth about 10 times. It's really, really unimpressive and needs work asap!

Sep 24, 2012 6:37 PM in response to Bensch Blaser1

I have to pick up this topic again, it is so utterly frustrating. The Sync function of Aperture with Flickr really is a piece of junk. Not only does it take ages to synchronize even the smallest changes to a given album (and consumes heaps of data traffic, what does it do? Send my entire harddisk to Flickr?) it also still doesn't respect the order I put things in in Aperture. The outcome on the other end of the pipe may be something completely random, or the actual order I put it in. No way of telling why it does this or that, it's so frustrating I am willing to stop using Aperture and Flickr in combination altogether. How hard can it be to just upload the pics in the order they were put and tell Flickr to keep it that way? Why would I be forced to use a 32bit third party upload plugin to do the simplest task on the internet, uploading files to a server?

I can do that with a 30 year old ftp protocol, but not with the latest version of Aperture and Mac OS X? Am I the only one who finds this ironic, coming from the company that has written user friendlyness all over its flags?

Can we please have an update that finally adresses these issues?

Sep 26, 2012 12:15 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Some more chagrin here: I've been traveling in NZ and AU for the past two months. Down under is beautiful but they're very backwards with their internet. It is almost never free and always traffic limited. The rates for paid internet on the go are horrific too, as much as 99$ for 1GB of traffic. Uploading pictures therefore is a very difficult business. Now with the Aperture-Flickr Sync though, it keeps downloading seemingly random stuff into the iLifeAssetManagement folder instead of uploading the new pics in a given album. So before i have uploaded a single picture, I made already have exceeded my traffic limit of 50 or even 500mb.

What does iLifeAssetManagement do and why is it filling a hidden folder in my user Library with as much as 100% the size of my Aperture Library (some 60GB of data). I'm on a 11" MBA with 180GB SSD, I can't afford to have a useless folder take away half my disk space, wasting my traffic limits and delaying my Flickr updates by literally hours.

Can someone explain what's going on here?

Sep 26, 2012 1:01 AM in response to Bensch Blaser1

What does iLifeAssetManagement do and why is it filling a hidden folder in my user Library with as much as 100% the size of my Aperture Library (some 60GB of data).

Are you asking about the folder pub in the iLifeAssetManagement folder?

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/pub/

This is the place where the PhotoStreams live on your Mac.

In this folder I see all 1000 pictures in my Photo Stream and the shared Photo Streams, in my case 5.58 GB, that is really an annoying waste of space on a small SSD drive. If you do not want to use so much space for your PhotoStream, you need to keep the Photo stream small -manage the Photstream manually and do not upload automatically.

I do not see my Flickr sets in this location, however.

Another big folder with redundant images is right inside your Aperture library package, the iPod Photo Cache, used when you sync images to your Mobile devices using iTunes. On my mac this folder needs 16 GB for 52 albums. see iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Regards

Léonie

Sep 26, 2012 6:42 AM in response to léonie

I had photostream turned off in Aperture on the MBA and it was on on the iPhone. But that would have explained only a couple of mb from the view pics I took with the iPhone. Instead it dumped a whole lot of really old pics in my Aperture trash. It doesn't make any sense, pics more than half a year old surfaced in my trash today although I clean it regularly. They're not on the iPhone either, at least not to my knowledge. I mistrust this whole cloud business immensely, as it is utterly intransparent. We have no idea what data is being moved where.

So what gives? I connect an iPhone and the MBA to a free WiFi and end up getting 450MB of old Photostream pics on my MBA that has Photostream turned off officially? It's not even the pics that were in the photostream on the iPhone, it must have pulled them out of the cloud, from 7 months ago. What happened to "last 1000 pics"?

I have also still no idea why the mentioned folder bloated up to 65gb when I first noticed I was running out of space. I have no turned off Photostream again on both devices and have no plans on ever turning it on again. I hope the folder stays empty now and my traffic is not being wasted on pics that are so old they're not even in my library anymore.

I'm really disappointed with the software experience I've had lately with Apple products. Abnd that from an adamant Apple fan since 1995...

Sep 26, 2012 7:02 AM in response to Bensch Blaser1

It doesn't make any sense, pics more than half a year old surfaced in my trash today although I clean it regularly.

I suspect the following happened:

When you upgraded Aperture, your Aperture library has been upgraded too. During this step Aperture may well have found items in your libraries trash, that had become invisible and could not been moved to the system trash, so they remained hidden in the library. After reconnecting these lost items to their originals during the upgrade of the library, they now finally can be properly trashed. And since they not yet have been added to the photo stream, they are now added without asking. That is why I never, ever use automatic import and upload with Photo Stream.

Latest update does not impress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.