Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delivery Failure/Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed issues

Anyone getting hundreds of emails that seem to have been sent from your mac.com account but you haven't them or know any of the receipents? Delivery failure messages are coming from postmaster@mac.com and mailer-daemon@yahoo.com

I was on the phone with Apple Express Lane and the support tech tried really hard to help me but couldn't. He is asking me to figure out who sent the email and tell them to stop. I'm no techogeek and don't even know where to start.

Does anyone know how to stop these fraudulent emails from cloggin up my email on all my devices?

I get from 50-100 a day and it is really annoying to delete them everyday.

Here is a sample of the header I get:

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Message-id: <0M5S00CEXMC88860@st11b01mm-asmtp205.mac.com>

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:00:00 +0200

From: Wvvke lcmhw <__________@mac.com> <----i removed my email address

To: _____@yahoo.com, ______@gmail.com <--- i removed the long list recipients emails none of which I know

Subject: fobiqe <------many different subjects this is just an example of one

The long header reads:

Return-path <>

Received: from st11b01mm-asmtp205.mac.com ([17.172.48.68]) by ms02534.mac.com (Oracle Communications Messaging Server 7u4-24.01 (7.0.24.0) 64bit (built Jan 3 2012)) with ESMTP id <0M5T00JCVBCOCO90@ms02534.mac.com> for _______@mac.com; Mon, 19 Jun 2012 12:14:48 +0000 (GMT)

Original-recipient: rfc822; ______@mac.com

Too lazy to hand jam the whole header...Any help, suggestions etc to stop this annoyance?

iCloud email (web based), iPhone-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4), All devices (iPhone, Mac Pro, iPad)

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 12:33 PM

3 replies

Jun 18, 2012 1:18 PM in response to icloudmesses

When people receive emails which appear to come from their own address but they haven't sent they naturally tend to be concerned: however it's most unlikely that anyone has hacked their account, they've just been targeted by one of two common spammers' techniques: both arise because it's all too easy to forge the 'from' address on messages to be something other than the real one.

There are two things that can happen. One is that the sender has forged the 'from' address to be the same as the 'to' address (so other people will see it coming from themselves, not you), presumably in the hope of confusing spam filters. It's harmless, if extremely annoying. Delete it (never ever answer spam or try to unsubscribe from it), and you don't need to be worried about it.

The other problem - which appears to be what is affecting you - is that a spammer is forging your address as the 'from' address on a whole batch of messages. The first thing you hear about this is when you start getting bounce messages because the spam has been sent to non-existent addresses and is being bounced to you. There's no point at all in responding to it. It's infuriating but normally stops after a bit as they move on to another forged address.

There isn't really anything you can do about it: closing the account isn't really worth the hassle unless you are totally swamped, because you will have to tell everyone your new address. Apple can't really do any more than they already are about spam.

Delivery Failure/Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.