Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from old mac to New macbook air and using Timemachine

I migrated from a macbook to a macbook pro, I use time machine to back up.

I believe I set the new macbook to inherit the old ones backup history.

How do I make sure old macbook does not overwrite in time machine? Aren't the two computers named the same if I migrate?

What other things should I "undo" on the old computer before I give it to my wife?

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 1:04 PM

1 reply

Jun 18, 2012 8:54 PM in response to Moshe Bellows

Moshe Bellows wrote:

. . .

I believe I set the new macbook to inherit the old ones backup history.

How do I make sure old macbook does not overwrite in time machine?

If your wife wants to back up her Mac to the Time Capsule, she should answer that prompt to "Create New Backup" instead of "Inherit." That will start a whole new, separate set of backups for that Mac.

Also see Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #33, especially the pink box, for considerations about backing-up multiple Macs.

Aren't the two computers named the same if I migrate?

Probably, if you left the box for Settings > Computer checked. That's not a problem to OSX, as it knows which Mac is which via a hardware address inside each one, and will keep the backups separate. But for your own convenience, she should change the name via System Preferences > Sharing.

What other things should I "undo" on the old computer before I give it to my wife?

Your best bet would be for her to set up a new User Account (make it an Admin account), and delete yours, via System Preferences > Users & Groups. That way, she can set up her own email accounts and addresses, and other things that should be separate.

Migrating from old mac to New macbook air and using Timemachine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.