Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this a good price? Need opinion ASAP...

Hi,

I have a chance to purchase a 2010 27" iMac with i7, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, and 1GB ATI 5710 garphics card for $2,025 flat. This has Applecare until December of 2013. It is in like new conditions.

Is this a good or fair price? Would I be paying too much for an outdated (or somewhat old?) computer? I think my main loss versus the 2011 model would be no Thunderbolt ports and slower graphic card.

If this is not that good of a deal, where can I find a good deal on a new or used iMac. I just don't want to have any buyers' remorse.

BTW, my main use is Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 4, and Final Cut Express.

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 3:47 PM

19 replies

Jun 18, 2012 5:25 PM in response to Big Joon

Compare your specs to mine:

User uploaded file

I got it as a refurb from Apple in late February for just slightly more than $1,500 and it included a full one year warranty plus the opportunity to buy Applecare (which I did - valid to 2/2015).

I'd agree that the price for yours is high. Mine doesn't have an SSD, but a better graphics card. I'd also keep in mind that the apps you use result in huge files (when I start a video project, it quickly grows to 100 GB or more), so if your OS is on the SSD, you may run into space problems while in the middle of a video project. And I've seen questions that keeping the videos on a 7200 rpm drive while working on the SSD may result in problems because one can't keep up with the other speed wise.

Edit: iMacs are not really user upgradeable (except RAM), so unless you are having an AASP do it, you may be voiding your warranty.

Jun 18, 2012 5:30 PM in response to Big Joon

Thanks for additional inputs. My main focus is photos, so not too concerned about video. I do plan to use it with 2TB external HD.

The Applecare expires on December 13, 2013. Can I extend the Applecare? Is that even possible?

If the price is too high, what would be a reasonable price so that I can try to renegotiate with the seller? I'd love to get a refurbished unit from Apple, but I do have to pay tax (which is pretty high) and do my own upgrades. I really want to try the SSD...

Jun 18, 2012 8:50 PM in response to Big Joon

I think,this is very high, too

I purchased my iMac 2 months ago through PowerMax. It is late 2009 27 inch screen iMac with Core 2 duo CPU, 16 GBs of RAM, 256 MB VRAM Graphics and 1 TB HD for $1599 and purchased a six month warranty that I can extend to one year, if I choose.

I am thinking it's the SSD drive that's inflating the price.

It's only 256 GB drive.

Kinda of puny drive size considering that most of the last couple of years worth of iMacs can have 1,2 or 3 TB size drives.

Is this a good price? Need opinion ASAP...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.