Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can receive emails but can't send any

Can receive messages but can't send any. What setting am I missing?

iPad, iOS 5.1

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 3:40 PM

Check the outgoing mail server setting. Make sure that your username and password are in there.

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Your email account>Account>Outgoing mail server - tap the server name next to SMTP and check in the primary server and make sure your username and password are entered and correct - even if it says that the password is optional.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2012 3:40 PM in response to oakknoll

Check the outgoing mail server setting. Make sure that your username and password are in there.

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Your email account>Account>Outgoing mail server - tap the server name next to SMTP and check in the primary server and make sure your username and password are entered and correct - even if it says that the password is optional.

Apr 23, 2014 10:40 PM in response to oakknoll

I had this same problem with my zoho mail account. It started when I changed my email password on the computer....Long story short I have been going crazy for a few days. I could receive mail, but couldn't send anything from that account! (Fortunately I have two other accounts which are a different server - gmail.) I turned my iPad2 off then on again...I did a sync with iTunes...I deleted the account and then added it back...Still it would not send..Just receive!

I did finally get it fixed, but it took about an hour poking around and looking for help here.

There were several problems:

1. Somehow the server port numbers were incorrect. So when I added the account back in, I found that the "incoming server port" was not correct and fixed it. But I didn't see how to check the "outgoing server port." - somehow in the setting up process, that just wasn't exposed.

2. Eventually I found the "outgoing server port" here: - Go to Settings - General - Mail - Account. Then tap on the Account you need to fix. Check the information there to be sure it is correct.

THEN: tap on the white bar just below the word "Outgoing mail Server"

That takes you to "SMTP"

You will see a primary server, and "other SMTP servers"

Somehow I had 3 there that were the same account server name (zoho) ..all with the wrong port number!

But even after fixing each one, I still couldn't send mail. This led to problem number 3:

3. Apparently having 3 of the same account was a problem. After I deleted all three of the accounts, then tapped on "Add Server" and entered the information back in again. Bingo, I could send mail!!

I don't know why, but now my "Primary Server" says "Not configured - off"

And all the "Other" servers say "off" as well.

But it's working so I am going to leave it as it is.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Can receive emails but can't send any

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.