Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '09 won't import movies made on my Mac

I know, I know...iMovie '09? Yeah, iMovie '09.

Here's the scenario:

On my MacBook Pro (15" 2.2 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.7.4) I launch QuickTime Player (10.1) and record a video using the built-in camera by selecting:

File > New Movie Recording

When I'm done, I stop the recording, quit QT Player, and launch iMovie '09 (8.0.6) to trim the video down to what I need. In iMovie, I go to:

File > Import > Movies... and select the video I just made.

The drive I've selected has 70+GB free (this particular video is only about 20MB). "Optimize" is not selected, "Copy Files" is, and I hit the Import button.

I get a progress bar that reads "Copying Files" for a little less than a second, and then it disappears and is replaced by the following message:

Copy Failed

This file could not be copied:

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/dane/Movies/Movie Recording.mov

(-43)

Before anyone gets on me about using old software, I should say that I've done exactly the same thing dozens of times with exactly the same hardware and software. The sudden inability to import a movie made using Apple software on my Mac into Apple editing software on my Mac strikes me as utterly absurd and is frustrating beyond words. I have deleted the iMovie prefs and had the same problem. I then ran YASU (why not?) and still have the same problem.

Any ideas? Any other helpful info I can provide?

Thanks!

Dane

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 4:11 PM

6 replies

Jun 19, 2012 12:08 PM in response to macdane

Hmm. I'm trying to think of what other clues I may be able to provide. Here's one:

During the attempted import, if I select "Move Files" (instead of copy), I get exactly the same results. If I select "Optimize" I get the same results except I never see the "Copying Files" progress widow...it just goes straight from clicking the import button to displaying the error message.

Nobody has any ideas???

Thanks,

Dane

Jun 20, 2012 5:40 AM in response to macdane

Okay, next...

Following some advice I see repeated often in this forum, I tried using MPEG Streamclip to convert the video to .mp4 format … still no luck. I've also seen people with similar problems being advised to export to Quicktime (also via MPEG Streamclip) using the AIC codec. Tried it and still get nowhere.

Thoughts? Please?

Thanks,

Dane

iMovie '09 won't import movies made on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.